[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Smashwords and Amazon : Self-Publishing Markets • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Smashwords and Amazon

wondo
Colonel

Smashwords and Amazon

Postby wondo » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:08 am

I am currently publishing on Smashwords and Amazon Kindle. Those are the only two that I know of, but since Smashwords submits the ebooks to so many other publishers it may be all that a writer needs. Are there others that are legit and worthwhile?
A garden is a place not just for growing plants. It is a place to grow the soul as well.

http://www.mossyfeetbooks.com/

http://www.facebook.com/ae.mableson

http://www.indianaplaces.com/

http://www.aemableson.com

Oldtimer
Colonel

Re: Smashwords and Amazon

Postby Oldtimer » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:44 am

Sorry, wondo, I didn't see this section. It would have been a much better place to post my Smashwords comments. :oops:
Read samples of my Martian series (by Dorothy Piper) and two romances (by Joni Havel) on Smashwords.
Hard copies of all are on Amazon.

shadowwalker
Captain

Postby shadowwalker » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:20 am

I know a lot of people use Lulu - can't speak for how it compares to Smashwords personally, but they seem to be pretty close in preference among the self-publishers I'm acquainted with.
"It seems rather like wanting to be ... a writer, rather than wanting to write. It should be a by-product, not a thing in itself. Otherwise, it's just an ego trip." - Roger Zelazny

It's really not that hard. Just tell me a story.

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:45 pm

Lulu is good for low-volume, narrow-interest print endeavors, like our family's history which is available from Lulu. It struck me more like a catalog of short-run books than a publisher, which is not a bad thing at all. Unless I'm mistaken, they do only print books.
Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

Oldtimer
Colonel

Postby Oldtimer » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:39 am

Talking about Lulu ... Yesterday I received a copy of "Leaving the Planet by Space Elevator" written by Dr. Bradley C. Edwards and Philip Ragan, with a foreword by Sir Arthur C. Clarke, published in 2006 by Lulu. Content aside (fascinating for me) the layout and presentation of text and diagrams looks perfect to my inexperienced eye and it looks as if the only disadvantage of using Lulu instead of Smashwords or Amazon is that you have to pay. Isn't that right? :(
Read samples of my Martian series (by Dorothy Piper) and two romances (by Joni Havel) on Smashwords.

shadowwalker
Captain

Postby shadowwalker » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:45 am

There's also CreateSpace - again, not one I know about personally, but that is mentioned by self-publishers. (Hope no one minds that I don't know about these, only posting them as additional avenues to check out. :oops: )
"It seems rather like wanting to be ... a writer, rather than wanting to write. It should be a by-product, not a thing in itself. Otherwise, it's just an ego trip." - Roger Zelazny

It's really not that hard. Just tell me a story.

Oldtimer
Colonel

Postby Oldtimer » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:19 am

I have recently added a gmail address to my Yahoo one. The following message/link appears at the top of my inbox:

Self-Publish Your Book - www.createspace.com - Get Help from Start to Finish + 555 Free Book Promotion Tips Now

I haven't checked it out yet, but probably will before I finish my YA/SciFi story which I hope is on its last edit.

gesler0811
Sergeant Major

Postby gesler0811 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:56 pm

I checked out CreateSpacae yesterday after seeing this thread and it seems like it is worth considering. I don't have much experience yet to really compare all the markets against one another but createspace did have a really neat cover designer built right in that lets you select and customize from several different templates and it was not as restrictive as I might have thought. Plus, you get your book on Amazon from what I can tell although I'm not sure if that is an extra cost.

The account is free though.

Spiderbite209
Private E-1

Postby Spiderbite209 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:38 am

So, judging by the earlier comments, I was wondering, is it beneficial to me if I submitted the same book to multiple self publishing outlets? After I'm done putting it up on CreateSpace, I'll go ahead and also hit up Smashwords, Lulu, Bookbaby and Booktango while I'm at it. Should I remain exclusive to CreateSpace or am I chasing my tail by being redundant on the other websites?

(sorry for the newbie questions. I've written lots of scripts in the past but this is my first book and I want to make sure it's done right)

Thanks!

--Glenn

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:09 am

Consider that CreateSpace is POD in nature, and you get your book on Amazon for free. The others, I believe, are pay-in-advance outlets.
Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

Next

Return to Self-Publishing Markets