[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Tips on How to Remove Formatting Errors : Covers & Formatting • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Tips on How to Remove Formatting Errors

mfarraday
Lieutenant

Tips on How to Remove Formatting Errors

Postby mfarraday » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:03 pm

Last edited by mfarraday on Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

pls
Site Admin

Re: The Quick and the Fast on Removing Formatting Errors

Postby pls » Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:30 pm

You're welcome. But a question - does this tip work in all versions of Word from Word 2004 on, and for both PC and Mac? I don't know. (I just use the "ruler" at the top of the page to set indents before I start typing).
Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

mfarraday
Lieutenant

Postby mfarraday » Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:57 pm

I find the ruler to be very hard to use, as a rule (um....nevermind.) but anyway not sure what versions all these tips work for. it's worth a try, anyway!

more tips are welcome here. please post 'em.

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:13 am

EdwardG mentioned formatting errors in one of my books available via Kindle, and unless he's seeing something that I missed, I believe that said errors are all hanging indents of entire paragraphs after many of the paragraphs that contain quotes and of course quotation marks.

When I post novels to Smashwords (and on to other venues, such as Barnes & Noble), I have no problem with these extra indents in these other sources – they show up ONLY in Kindle downloads of my novels and in other novels. Often. I wonder if "curly quotes" have anything to do with these indents.

Anyone have a solution to this problem?
Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

mfarraday
Lieutenant

Re: Tips on How to Remove Formatting Errors

Postby mfarraday » Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:50 pm

I tried to right-click on my document, and it didn't come up with the category 'special' whereby I could fix the indentation default settings. Is this advice (above) for a Mac user only?

mfarraday
Lieutenant

Postby mfarraday » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:28 am

nevermind, i figured it out.

Linton Robinson
Corporal

Postby Linton Robinson » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:54 pm

You don't need to use the ruler to format.

For Kindle and most ebook format .5 is way to much margin. (For most POD book formats, too. .5 is for 8.5 inch wide paper, not 5 or 6 inch wide. And certainly not for the narrow screens on ereaders.

Set something small like.3 for books. .2 or so for ereaders.
Frankly, you are better off not setting graph indents for ebooks, especially if you have a lot of dialogue or poetry or frequent paragraph breaks.

You might find that no indent (set indent at .002 or something) with 6 or 8 pt break between paragraphs works much better.

loonamartin
Private E-1

Postby loonamartin » Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:31 am

Good one. I recommend you to use the existing "Kindle template" for the better results. In generally, the formatting is not easy as we think if your book contains complex elements and Illustrations.

Return to Covers & Formatting