[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Self-Publishing Topics : General Questions & Discussions • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Self-Publishing Topics

TerryRodgers
Site Admin

Self-Publishing Topics

Postby TerryRodgers » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:17 pm

I believe we can place some threads at the top of this section so they stay there.

Any suggestions?

For those that have self-published, what are the main items people need to be aware of?

wondo
Colonel

Re: Self-Publishing Topics

Postby wondo » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:35 pm

Covers, Formatting, Markets (Smashwords, Kindle, etc.), Marketing and Promotion, General Questions and Discussion. These seem to be the most important to me. There may be others.
A garden is a place not just for growing plants. It is a place to grow the soul as well.

http://www.mossyfeetbooks.com/

http://www.facebook.com/ae.mableson

http://www.indianaplaces.com/

http://www.aemableson.com

shadowwalker
Captain

Postby shadowwalker » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:08 pm

I'd include scams to watch out for. A lot of the old vanity publishers are now switching to "self-publishing companies", basically charging to do the things that self-publishers can do for themselves with a little research, and then either not doing it or adding charges to do it right.
"It seems rather like wanting to be ... a writer, rather than wanting to write. It should be a by-product, not a thing in itself. Otherwise, it's just an ego trip." - Roger Zelazny

It's really not that hard. Just tell me a story.

Oldtimer
Colonel

Re: Self-Publishing Topics - Smashwords

Postby Oldtimer » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:31 am

I have tried to upload my manuscript twice but each time I've been held up at Stage 3 of the process. There I had to choose a main category. I chose Fiction. Smashwords instructed me to wait a minute. I did. Twice. Fifteen minutes each time and got nowhere. It seemed as if the system was in a loop. Is this normal?
Read samples of my Martian series (by Dorothy Piper) and two romances (by Joni Havel) on Smashwords.
Hard copies of all are on Amazon.

pls
Site Admin

Re: Self-Publishing Topics - Smashwords

Postby pls » Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:28 pm

Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

EccentricKim
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby EccentricKim » Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:22 pm

I would definitely like to see some threads on Marketing. I am going through a small publishing company, which means I am basically in charge of much of my own marketing. I have some ideas, but would like to learn more!

Here are my plans so far for No Turning Back:

Thanks to writer friend here Terri Rochenski, there will be a blog promoting my book and a free e-book giveaway on my book's release date.

Windy City Times has agreed to do a review of my book, I will be sending them a paperback copy at my own cost (I do get a discounted rate)

A local bookstore has agreed to carry copies of my book, I will be giving them copies at my own cost, and then splitting profits 60/40 after a sale.

I have also planned to put ads in Windy City Times, which I have been published in 3 times, and I was thinking of one other place. This is all I can afford. At first I was considering Lesbian Connection, which I have been in twice, but the average reader age is retired adult, not young adult, so I don't know the wisdom in this! (Despite the fact that YA can reach all age groups.) I think for now that will still be my plan.

I will also get the word out in all my social media outlets: Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, Goodreads, my web site, and uh something else I'm sure.
Previously published writer starting over.

EccentricKim
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby EccentricKim » Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:22 pm

double post!
Previously published writer starting over.

Return to General Questions & Discussions