$1,500 + Royalties in Yellow Pages

It's OK to brag here! In fact, we encourage it. Tell your fellow writers about your most recent sale, a new market you cracked, etc.
John A. Manley

Postby John A. Manley » Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:35 am

John A. Manley

Postby John A. Manley » Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:35 am

I started working in the Yellow Pages department. Writing half and full-page advertorial for businesses using standard direct-response copywriting methods. Granted my ads are more personalized than many of the template copies being used.

Anyways, the success rate for these types of meaningful ads increases phone calls for business by 200-500%.

All by writing a "magazine feature" using key selling points to convince people to respond to their Yellow Pages ad.

I put one together for a framer for $500. Her phones starts ringing more.

Had a chiropractor who asked me to finish up one he started for $500.

Then I started getting smart. I realized these rewrites are making these businesses a lot of money (imagine doubling the amount of new customers coming through the door for a business by your writing?).

So I struck a deal with a dentist. $1,000 for a full page ad, plus $1.00 everytime the phone rings from the Yellow Pages. He gets about 40 YP calls a month right now. His ad is horrible. The new ad should generate at least 80 if not 120 calls. That's $80-$120 coming in each month for an ad that's going to take me 20 hours of interviews and writing to create.

The dentist is thrilled. Quite happy to pay $1.00 for a new patient. If I double his gross income, that's an extra 1 million dollars in 12 months time. No brainer for him.

That's just the beginning. I'll be doing some other marketing for him on a retainer. Writing postcards to get old patients back. Website content. Quarterly newsletter. Probably looking at a $1000 month retainer plus 5% royalties on all sales.

A few more jobs like these, and I could be making enough money from commercial writing to get back to finishing that novel.

John

PS: If you want to see the most recent Yellow Pages ad I finished, subscribe to the free ezine Reality Copywriting at www.realitycopywriting.com.

PPS: Most companies pay $35,000+ for their Yellow Pages ad. If you can improve the response even a little (no less double it) they are quite happy to pay you $1,000 to do it.

Return to Success Stories