[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Your Last Line - 1/5 : Writing Prompts and Challenges • Page 25 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Your Last Line - 1/5

The editors of Writer's Digest provide a weekly Writing Prompt to get your writing going.
Baron83
Private E-1

Re: Your Last Line - 1/5

Postby Baron83 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:23 am

"And that's pretty much it," Baron said.

"That's it?" Sgt. Jones asked.

"Except for the recent stuff but you had your own role in that, so..."

"Did I already ask why you're naked?"

"No."

"Mind if I ask now?"

Baron shrugged his raw, cherry-red shoulders.

"I still don't know who you are."

Baron smiled at that, the laugh lines in his face camouflaged by his matted beard. He stood to his full height of nearly five and half feet and stretched. Sgt. Jones grimaced and massaged his suddenly itchy throat.

"Of course you do. I am Baron Clapp."
"Where are the Snowdens of yesteryear?"

catbr
Private E-1

Postby catbr » Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:50 pm

After the lengthy battles and loss of so many lives, no one would ever go hungry, there would be no more suffering and earth would finally forever be at peace.

MDize
Private E-1

Postby MDize » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:46 pm

And that, my friend, is the answer to everything you ever wanted to know about anything. Plus, a little opinion thrown in just to make it interesting. Now, the rest is up to you.

sarah15
Private E-1

Postby sarah15 » Tue May 01, 2012 9:46 am

My entire stash of cookie dough was depleted, but at least I'd saved the world. And that punk, John, was never going to get my jet-powered scooter out of the tree.

Darar
Private E-1

Postby Darar » Sat May 12, 2012 1:35 pm

“It just goes to show you what can happen when you meet your sole mate.”

shorty
Corporal

Postby shorty » Sat May 12, 2012 6:53 pm

fun fun fun! ;-)

nhope
Lieutenant

Postby nhope » Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:18 pm

"You've got to be kidding."

mokingjay
Private E-1

Postby mokingjay » Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:43 pm

How in the world did I get here?
"We must not look at goblin men, we must not buy their fruit. Who knows upon which soil they fed their hungry thirsty roots." `Christina Rosetti

Anya Kylash
Lieutenant

Postby Anya Kylash » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:39 pm

A solitary tear slipped down his cheek and fell on the cold, stone floor.
Finished:
Race Against Fate -101k words
Loyalties Lost -121k words
Forgotten -100k words
Friends and Foes -113k words

Unfinished:
Alone - 32k words

Hannah-Lynn
Private E-1

Postby Hannah-Lynn » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:44 am

I opened my eyes to the sun bright and warm but not unbearably hot. Clouds drifted around it, as if they were butterflies hovering and playing with their favorite flower. Pretty, white, fluffy clouds. Leisure clouds.
The sky seemed so blue I didn’t think I’d ever seen another like it. A pure and wholesome blue. The sort small children color it as. The blue the sky should be but rarely is.
I discovered I was lying on my back, looking up at this so blue sky. I worked my elbows up behind me, propping my torso up. I was dressed in black. An airy, soft, cotton dress that laid its hem at my ankles, was cinched at my waist, and covered my torso up to my throat where it was tied behind my neck in imitation of a choker necklace. I felt the wind, warm and dry, brush my bare back. The back of the dress left my scars and tattoo exposed but covered my sides and front fully. I liked the sleeves. They covered my arms from shoulders to wrists, cinched at my wrists, like thickened little cuffs that kept the sleeves in place since the rest of the material seemed breezy and loose. And despite the red dirt and dust skipping up in the wind, none of it seemed to touch the black of the dress.
I got to my feet slowly, feeling a little off my equilibrium but more stable than if I were drunk. Then I stopped moving completely. I was in the middle of a canyon. A very deep, very big, very empty canyon. Too big to be a ravine, too long to be a gorge. From cliff to cliff the empty distance was breathtaking. Red and black dirt and rock were everywhere, rusted powder flipped up into the wind and swung around, licking the air, reaching for the blue of that sky. And I was standing on a flat though relatively small plateau, the smoothed over top of a giant boulder of sorts, one that seemed to be either only one of many or one section of a giant elongated stone, like a lone tower in the middle of nothing.
There was no way off of it and there was no one around. I was stranded, and very, very alone.
Is this where I die?
“Or am I already dead?” I asked the wind as it lifted my hair with unseen fingers and tickled my neck.
My voice bounced back at me from the cavernous eroded earth around me. It was the echo of a shadow.
“Maybe you are my answer,” I whispered. Maybe I’d died and this was the hell I’d carved out for myself in life. This lonely, trapped place. No freedom, no possibility of escape. The freest space I could possibly be in yet the most permanent cage I’ve ever stood in. And the only company I was allowed was my empty voice thrown back to me.

PreviousNext

Return to Writing Prompts and Challenges