[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Not a good day : Writers' Block Party • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Not a good day

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Jumbie

Not a good day

Postby Jumbie » Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:00 pm

Jumbie

Not a good day

Postby Jumbie » Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:00 pm

Today was not a good one here in my town. There was a "school shooting" at our local high school this morning. I haven't seen the news and don't know what's being said, but here's what I do know...

A fourteen-year-old 9th grader shot a sixteen-year-old today at the high school. The boy was shot three times and is doing pretty well, under the circumstances. He was operated on for several hours and will (barring the unforseen stuff) be ok. This was a personal issue that was acted upon at the school. It wasn't someone out to shoot everyone that he saw - like some of the school shootings have been. After shooting the sixteen-year-old, the 9th grade boy left the school and walked up the street. The police followed and aprehended him close to the school.

The school went into lockdown for several hours and will be closed tomorrow as well.

What a horrible thing to happen in any town. You want to feel like you can send your kids off to school and expect that they will not have to fear for their lives. Our boys are in college so they weren't in any danger, but I have several friends with kids there and worry for them.

Ours is a small, quiet town. We have very few violent crimes here. This is shocking and disturbing in so many ways.

Just wanted to share/vent/set the record straight. Thanks for "listening".

Prof Durden
Private First Class

RE: Not a good day

Postby Prof Durden » Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:24 pm

I was at Columbine when the shooting happened, you know, the one the news exploded everywhere.

I still have nightmares. I've been an NRA rifle coach for many years, so I've been around guns and never had a problem with them. I guess perspectives change when you're at the other end of the barrel. While I was not in any of the gore myself, it was heard all over the building.

Hearing it on the news is one thing, but when it hits close to home, it's rough.

When it happened, I was a freshman. The police searched my room because I was fingered out as a "suspect" for someone who would do something like that. I wasn't, I just wore a trench coat because it's all I had.

Looking back, I knew all Eric and Dylan needed were hugs.

No joke, hugs. Parents need to really get on it.

Gooblink
Major General

Postby Gooblink » Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:11 am

I saw this on the news.

My husband and I were just talking about school options for our boys. They are only 7 and 5 and we home school. The plan is to continue through middle school then send them to a traditional - either public or private - high school.

Now, news like this doesn't make me cower in fear and want to keep my kids from facing the world (well, maybe a little) but, it does drive home what school kids are up against. One just never knows.

There was a 14 year old girl shot here recently, too. It was supposedly accidental as a couple of boys were playing with a gun. I guess it wouldn't have made national news 'cause it wasn't actually at a school, so carries less shock value.

I have nothing against guns, but I do wish that parents all over would be more involved in their kids' lives. Please!

Aspiring

Postby Aspiring » Sat Feb 25, 2006 3:39 am

How terrible to have this happen so close to home. And how it adds to my anxiety. I'm in a suburban NJ town, and a friend recently told me that her daughter in second grade is having major trouble staying focused in class. There is a little girl in her SECOND GRADE CLASS!! drawing pictures of another girl being murdered with guns and knives. The police are involved and the entire class has to go to weekly counseling. While I found this horrifying (my three children attend the same school) she said she had a worse issue when her son was in first grade. Two boys were bullying another boy in the same way, drawing pictures of themselves murdering another boy, and in this case, the police were involved, but the family of one of the boys had significant drug issues and the police were not really able to make any progress with them. I don't know what happened to that boy. After your story, I'm even more frightened for my boys.

yudelka
Captain

Postby yudelka » Sat Feb 25, 2006 6:08 am

David, I agree. Hugs would do a lot of good.
Cindy, you're right. If parents paid a little more attention, these kids would probably not do such things.
Clare, I know how it feels to want to shelter your kids from the world (at least from gunshots, for goodness' sake).
This is horrifying for anyone who has kids, especially when those kids go to public school, like my son. I live in the wonderful home of Camp Lejeune (Jacksonville, NC) and though it is a small town (for a Brooklyn girl anyway), it's growing, and we all know what that means--more people, more problems.
We don't hear about this sort of thing around here, but it really is frightening when your kids can't be safe even at school.

meloncholy
Sergeant

Postby meloncholy » Sat Feb 25, 2006 4:32 pm

I heard about this one. I remember the Columbine shooting as well. Anything happening like this is terrible and frightening. My old school used to get bomb threats and all sorts of things. We would have to evacuate the school and wait for hours to find out it was only a hoax, thank god. I cant even begin to imagine how terrifying it must have been to be at any of the shootings that have tooken place.

queenb

Postby queenb » Sat Feb 25, 2006 4:44 pm

Return to Writers' Block Party