[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Literary Journal Publication-Is it necessary? : Writers' Block Party • Page 2 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Literary Journal Publication-Is it necessary?

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Jamesaritchie
Commander in Chief

RE: Literary Journal Publication-Is it necessary?

Postby Jamesaritchie » Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:21 am

JessicaLeigh
Lieutenant

Postby JessicaLeigh » Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:34 am

Yes, I suppose that is my fear. It is similar to my husband's artwork. His commissions are never as good as his "real" art because the desire isn't there.

Thanks for your thoughts.

I believe right now I have A LOT in my head and I don't want to be bogged down by what I (for me) deem unneccessary writing (i.e. writing short works just to fill up the CV/resume). I graduated w/ my M.Ed. intent on teaching at the college level, instead I somehow got stuck in a banking career for close to ten years. Now, thanks to my husband, I am an at-home mom who finally has time to write. I want to write about the characters who have been taking up space in my head all these years and they seem to find their homes in novels rather than short pieces. Ha!

Curious
Lieutenant

Postby Curious » Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:35 am

And I love writing novels. I've written the occasional short story just for pure fun, but I'm not all that interested in the genre. Short stories can help bring the money in and pay the bills, but I don't have to worry if it takes a few months to get that advance check, so I'm in the enviable position of picking exactly the project I want. Since I work best when I'm working obsessively on one thing at a time, novel-length projects are what I choose to obsess over. They're FUN!

James, I had no idea a cod could pack a wallop!

Clare

Mina21
Private E-1

Re: Literary Journal Publication-Is it necessary?

Postby Mina21 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:59 am

I think it depends on what you're going for. If you're looking to get traditionally published, it certainly helps to have some high-brow journal publications under your belt. But if you're looking to self-publish you can probably manage without the accolades. Think of it like a programming job. You don't need the degree, only the knowledge, but jeepers the degree helps when getting a sturdy job.

Previous

Return to Writers' Block Party