New POD Romance Writer - Hello :)

Stop in and get to know your fellow writers.

Moderator: ostarella

jshashaty

Postby jshashaty » Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:20 pm

jshashaty

Postby jshashaty » Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:20 pm

Hi! I'm new to the forums, although I run a couple of my own, I wandered by and this seemed to be the place for introductions.

My name is Jen. I have just finished publishing my first historical romance novel through iUniverse. Its called Bermuda Hearts: A Bennington Hall Legacy.

I run a website called Romancefanfiction.net geared towards helping people write using fanfiction and another called Romancenews.com geared towards helping Romance Writers publish using POD (A very very interesting way to break into the market)!

It has been alot of fun... I always thought writing was a bit lonely, but it has turned into a wonderful way to meet others so much alike. Where else can you go and have a conversation about the voices in your head that you are taking dictation from... and be considered normal??

Anyhow - I live in upstate New York, am married, 2 kids, 2 dogs, 2 cats...well 3 cats (the barn cat adopted us) and a couple of horses. I cook, ride dressage, ski.... and of course, write.

Glad to be here!!

Jen

goobiesonvenus
Private First Class

RE: New POD Romance Writer - Hello :)

Postby goobiesonvenus » Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:00 pm

Welcome to the forum, Jen. Congrats on getting published; I'm not that far yet myself...but I'll get there, sooner or later. The voices are interesting, aren't they? ;)
I hope you enjoy.

-Goobies

abqwriter
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby abqwriter » Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:03 pm

Welcome, Jen.  Dive right in to one of the threads or start one of your own!

dfletcher
Private E-1

Postby dfletcher » Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:09 am

Welcome, Jen, Glad you've come in.

Camille

Postby Camille » Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:40 am

Hi Jen - welcome to the forum!  There have been some questions about POD, so maybe some questions will come your way.  It seems Writer's Digest magazine seems to lean that way quite often.

We also live on a farm with critters.  My daughter shows Hunt Seat on our Morgan (just 4-H level) and we have a two year old Rocky Mountain.  My daughter's riding instructor shows dressage.    No one shows dressage in our area;  it's mostly QH country. 

I've written a YA fantasy novel.  I'm in the process of sending out queries.

jshashaty

Postby jshashaty » Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:48 am

My horse is a Morgan as well!! He is a combination line going back to Uledon! What an ego... I swear - if he was a human, he would be a man, gold chains and a swagger in his step- picture Joe Pesci.

I'm happy to answer POD questions.... honestly I went this route for my first novel and didnt bother with the query route. I wanted one book under my belt before going for an agent... my next step.... while I am working on my second book.

I needed the boost in confidence... a bit self-serving but there you go. Also I was impressed with iUniverse's programs to help you build.... I have to admit they have been very supportive...and I am looking at my first booksigning next month.

I love Fantasy novels!!! I even wrote a fanfic cross in the Fantasy genre...it is not my strong suit, but as a writer, the trials and tribulations, not to mention the lifestyle is very much the same.

Jen

jasipper
Brigadier General

Postby jasipper » Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:15 am

Nice to meet you, Jennifer! Hope you'll poke around here and share all you can!

Camille

Postby Camille » Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:49 am

I hate to bore the other forum members   ... ah, what the heck.  My Morgan is from the Working Western line.  He's a big, stocky boy (15.3) - a chocolate palomino with a white mane and tail.  Everyone thinks he's a RMH because of his coloring (our RMH is black so he should be the Morgan!)  Like I said, this is QH country, but he places well in halter because he has a big QH butt!  Last summer, it was my daughter's first year in with the senior level and she came in first in Hunt Seat.  All the QH's were pushing peanuts while her Morgan had his head in the air.  He's the only horse I've ever had that acts like a stallion everyday (proud).

Now on to the forum stuff.  I wasn't aware the POD lined up book signings.  Do they edit?  And will bookstores put them on their shelves?  I heard something about they won't buy back books from bookstores.  Not your POD, just in general.  Do you get WD magazine?  There are a lot of PODs listed in the magazines.  When WD has a writing contest, the grand prize winner is offered a POD package.

Return to Introductions