[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Red Boots : Introductions • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Red Boots

Stop in and get to know your fellow writers.
StevieJoe_Payne
Private E-1

Red Boots

Postby StevieJoe_Payne » Wed Jan 25, 2006 6:34 pm

StevieJoe_Payne
Private E-1

Red Boots

Postby StevieJoe_Payne » Wed Jan 25, 2006 6:34 pm

Yes, I wear red boots and it has become a nickname that I embrace. I began to wear red boots in 1987 and continue today. It is my apodo de espanol, nick name in Spanish, Botas Rojas, as well. I am sixty-one years of age and I will be sixty-two on February 12th, also President Lincoln's birthday. I speak several languages, Spanish and French, and I can read and write them as well. I am self taught in languages but after retiring from Phillips Petroluem, I returned to school and earned two Associate of Arts degrees in Spanish. I am a member of the American Translators Association. I am married to my second wife for more than ten years with my first marriage lasting twenty-three years. I was single eight years between marriages. I had one son, Stephen William, whom I lost to juvenile diabetes in 2003 at age thirty-six. I quit high school at age seventeen in my junior year, enlisted in the navy for four years and then I returned to high school at age twenty-one and graduated at age twenty-three. I already had a GED for high school but it was not widely accepted in 1965. I began college at age twenty-nine at the University of Tulsa and I tell University of Tulsa jokes instead of others. I have lived in Oklahoma, California, North Dakota and Texas though I am originally from Pawhuska, Oklahoma. I am mixed blood Cherokee Indian and something else. I have a non-fiction book in progress and I have written most of it but now I have to edit and integrate the pages into one coherent story. Someday I will tell you why I wear red boots.

jmar2
Major General

RE: Red Boots

Postby jmar2 » Thu Jan 26, 2006 3:05 am

Are they in Dylan's words, "Boots of Spanish Leather"?

Welcome to our forum. Your life sounds like it is so full of antecdotes you'll need to take a couple of years just to organize your thoughts.

Welcome again,

John

jasipper
Brigadier General

Postby jasipper » Thu Jan 26, 2006 3:37 am

Gooblink
Major General

Postby Gooblink » Thu Jan 26, 2006 4:26 am

Greetings, Stevie!

Sounds like you've had a rich, busy life! I've been in Texas for 16 years and still don't know enough Spanish to find my way to a restroom. That's one of our schooling objectives for next year - to get Spanish lessons for the boys (we home school).

I've also thought about adopting an Hispanic baby and the whole family can learn to talk when it does....

I have a 5 year-old son with juvinile diabetes, so my gut lurched when I read that you lost your son to this disease. I'm sorry for you; we keep praying and hoping that there is a cure before Chris faces too many challenges. We are putting him on an insulin pump starting Monday - talk about a wonderful piece of technology!

Can't wait to hear the story behind the red boots!

Georganna
Brigadier General

Postby Georganna » Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:13 pm

Just red boots?  :o

Tell us about your nonfiction book, please.

80squeen
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby 80squeen » Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:33 pm

Hi! I am writing a non-fiction book also. I would love to hear about yours!

Melissa

entropy_happens
Lieutenant

Postby entropy_happens » Sun Jan 29, 2006 4:22 pm

Welcome! What type of nonfiction is it?
I took Latin in high school through a correspondence course, and I must say it was very rewarding. Anyway, good luck with your writing, and I'm looking forward to hearing about the red boots.
Lynne

Return to Introductions