Hi, I'm New.

Stop in and get to know your fellow writers.
Erin_Jo
Private E-1

Hi, I'm New.

Postby Erin_Jo » Sat Jan 21, 2006 2:11 pm

Erin_Jo
Private E-1

Hi, I'm New.

Postby Erin_Jo » Sat Jan 21, 2006 2:11 pm

Which would, of course, explain why I'm posting in the introductions forum. :)

My name is Erin, and I actually come here via a scrapbooking website. My buddies there have been complimenting me on the writing on my pages, and I just decided that it was time to do something with the talent. I had a couple profs in college who tried to direct me that way a little bit, but I was lacking motivation.

Anyway, I'm feeling a little skittery about my grammar and punctuation and everything-- I usually really don't care but I just read something in another forum about grammar and now I'm feeling spazzy about it. So please forgive me if I come across like a weirdo. Mostly I am a weirdo, but don't hold that fact against me.

A bit about myself from a writing point of view-- I wrote my first poem when I was nine, about my sister, it was especially pretty. I wrote poetry and the odd short story on and off through high school and even college. Now I usually write non-fiction prose. Occasionally I am inspired by my kids or by Valentine's Day to write a poem, but generally I just write whatever I'm thinking. Which results in some interesting writing, as I'm sure you can imagine. I've had teachers and friends and people I don't know tell me what a good writer I am, but the only recognition I've ever received was being a runner-up in a teen magazine writing contest when I was twelve. Quite frankly, I've decided it's time to actually do something with myself! :)

I hope to get to know all of you and to benefit from your combined wisdom!

Erin

bananabreath247
Private E-1

RE: Hi, I'm New.

Postby bananabreath247 » Sat Jan 21, 2006 4:20 pm

Welcome! I'm pretty new also, but I can tell you that you're in for quite an experience if you really want to write. The best way to work on spelling and grammar is to read and allow others to edit (read: hack apart mercilessly) your work. In fact, I would be happy to offer criticism. Just ask.
Good luck,

Oktobrianna

Gooblink
Major General

Postby Gooblink » Sat Jan 21, 2006 6:52 pm

Hi Erin Jo,

Welcome and I hope you'll stick around a while to get to know us. We're an easy bunch from all walks of life, all levels of experience, all with a story to tell - and more if you'll listen.

Poke around a bit and join in the conversation!

Peace,
Cindy.

wrtrsblck
Private E-1

Postby wrtrsblck » Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:53 am

Hi Erin,

I don't think you need to worry about yout grammar and punctuation abilities, or lack there of, My abilities are weak at best as well. But I figure, that's what an editor is for. Good luck!!!

Christy

abqwriter
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby abqwriter » Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:37 am

Hi Erin Jo!  Welcome.

The nice thing about reading the other threads of these forums is that your understanding of grammar will grow exponentially.  We can have a two week discussion about the differences between jealousy and envy.  We can argue vehemently over whether or not a comma is in order.  So post away!

Darkeangyle
Private First Class

Postby Darkeangyle » Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:24 am

Welcome Erin Jo. I am pretty new here myself. Just jump in and have at it. The people here are amazing. They've already helped me out immensely and for that I will be eternally grateful.

I can relate to you on much of what you've said. Back in school my english teachers hounded me to write my stories down, but alas, I never did. Then low and behold, I decided my brain was overloading from all my made up stories and figured, 'hey why not!' and well end result, here I am. ;)

So with that said, pull up a chair, grab a bit to drink, and warm yourself by the hearth.

And once more.. welcome!

Robyn

jasipper
Brigadier General

Postby jasipper » Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:38 am

Welcome, Erin!

Glad to have another person join us here! Post as much or as little as you like. You'll find this site to be a great place to take your shoes off and set a spell. Tell us any and everything about your writing! We're all into writing here and would love to see some of your stuff in Critique Central, so pass it along!! Glad to see you.

entropy_happens
Lieutenant

Postby entropy_happens » Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:16 pm

Welcome Erin! This forum's been fun and educational for me; hopefully it will be for you too. And don't worry too much about grammar and stuff, just like they were saying--it's not really as important as the content of the writing itself. Personally I'm a grammar freak, but that's just me, and I get it from my mom. (In fact, has anyone else noticed that grammar boo-boo when you post a thread and it thanks you?)
And we're all weird here...
Lynne

comeaux50
Sergeant First Class

Postby comeaux50 » Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:59 am

Welcome, Erin. I hope your brain is ready to absorb all that you're about to learn from this group. There's a wealth of information in this group. You might want to create a new folder in your "Favorites" to store the information so you can go back to it from time to time. (Big Smile) At any rate, WELCOME and we hope you stick around. I'm new myself; only been with the group about three or four weeks. Sooo glad I joined the group. I've learned a lot! But most importantly, it's nice to be a part of a group who talks the writing lango. So many of the other writing groups on-line are into bashing whatever or whoever is in the news headlines. For months I craved to experience and share my writing world with people like me. Needless to say I've found the right group. Again, WELCOME...and like one of the other writers told you...grab a seat and let's sit by the hearth and write and talk a spell. -- donna -- in Oklahoma

Return to Introductions