[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
word count limits : FAQs • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

word count limits

Frequently asked questions. Go HERE and read the first thread.
hillsworth
Private E-1

word count limits

Postby hillsworth » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:40 am

I took a writing course for writing childrens stories for magazines that told me it was okay to go slightly over the posted word count, but not to exceed 10% over. Does this ring true?

louiseh87
Lieutenant

Re: word count limits

Postby louiseh87 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:32 pm

Louise :)

---------------------------
- where I extend talking to myself to the internet sphere

"Over the Waves", Strange Horizons (13 August 2012)

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:52 pm

Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

allz28
Captain

Postby allz28 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:00 pm

I always cut my stories until they're within word count limits. Why not? It's not that hard and it often strengthens it.

And although our e-zine doesn't publish children's stories, we reject submissions that are over our word count unread.

hillsworth
Private E-1

Postby hillsworth » Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:43 am

Thanks all, for replying so quickly. Looks like I should stay within the limits. Also, from the little editing and cutting that I have done, I find your statement about strengthening it to be true allz28. Thanks again.

rhyman
Private E-1

Postby rhyman » Tue May 15, 2012 1:06 am

I have a question that is similar to this one.
Let's take Your Story competition for example. The word count is set to 750 words. Do we use exact word count as given in the word processor or we use an approximate word count as with novels (750 words equals 3 pages multiplied by 250 words in Courier New Font with 12 points and double spacing)?

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Tue May 15, 2012 8:27 am

My answer is about the same as my response above. Use Word's word count, not a count based on printed pages. The word limit was set during the current era of electronic word processing, not typewritten pages.
Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby mammamaia » Tue May 15, 2012 10:55 am

i always use ms word's count, no matter what it's needed for...
ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

westmav
Private E-1

Postby westmav » Tue May 22, 2012 10:19 am

I also use MS Word’s word count and I try not to exceed the limit as instructed. Discipline is a very vital part of writing. You may have a lot to say, but it’s important that you stick with the word count required. A skilled writer knows how to pack together his countless ideas even if the length of the article or story has to be within certain limits. Make a list of key points that you want to include on the article. Thoroughly assess the significance of these ideas and rule out those which are of least importance.

Return to FAQs