Telepathic communications

Here's the place to share a writing or marketing tip you've used successfully and want to pass along.
Tyrsson
Private E-2

Postby Tyrsson » Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:43 am

Tyrsson
Private E-2

Postby Tyrsson » Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:43 am

In one of my short stories two of the characters can communicate with each other telepathicly. My question is how would this be shown to an editor or agent? While this form of communication is in this short I will also be useing in the book I am woorking on. I know that thoughts shown with itallics.

Thanks for the help.
Tyr

Arwen9
President of the World

RE: Telepathic communications

Postby Arwen9 » Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:35 am

Telepathy is a major factor in one of my novels. I used another book that had a lot of telepathy to determine how to show it. (Fusion Fire...that's the first or second one. can't remember)

Anyway, I treat it as if it were dialogue, but without "" and put it in italics. The only other thing I do is put a sorta tag before it. Like-

Tauri's thoughts buzzed in his head. You're kidding, right? Please say you're kidding.

I'm not. Gary sent back.

...etc. Hope that helps! :)

Liz

JeanneT
Private First Class

Postby JeanneT » Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:54 am

It can be done in italics BUT I wouldn't do it that way if you also show thoughts in italics. If you use italics for both that would be confusing in my opinion.

I recently did a short story with telepathic communication and used asterisks as though they were quotation marks. I have also seen << used in stories with telepathy.

There is no "standard" way of doing it, so you can use whatever you want as long as you are consistent and it is clear what you are doing.

Georganna
Brigadier General

Postby Georganna » Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:19 pm

Why not use italics as one does with thoughts?  Telepathic communication is thoughts. Well, errr, it's supposed to be, I mean.

Jamesaritchie
Commander in Chief

Postby Jamesaritchie » Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:49 pm

The short answer is to show it however you like.  This is an in-house style issue, and teh editor will simply change it, if he doesn;t like your way.

The trouble with using italices is that you'll also be using italics for otehr things, and it might be confusing.

One writer I know simply sets telpathy off with a * on either side.  As in *Calvin, where are you now?*

It's nothing to lose sleep over.  Just pick a method and be consistent.

Tyrsson
Private E-2

Postby Tyrsson » Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:17 pm

Hello

thanks for all the tips guys. My first thought was to use itallics for thoughts and bold itallics fro telepathy. Like you guys said i'll just pick a way of setting it aside and stick woth it.

Tyr

Arwen9
President of the World

Postby Arwen9 » Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:30 am

Now that would work, bold italics for telepathic stuff. I never thought of that. :)

Liz

JeanneT
Private First Class

Postby JeanneT » Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:46 am

Georgianna, telepathic COMMUNICATION is a particular kind of thought.

Are you saying you don't see a difference in private thoughts and thoughts another person is aware of?

I want to distinguish thoughts that are communication from private "musings," otherwise I believe it is confusing to the reader. It's a matter of clarity.

Bold italics is a good idea. I can't say I ever thought of going that route.

cooltouch
Sergeant Major

Postby cooltouch » Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:12 pm

Once again, James has nailed it.

I'm working on a novel right now where telepathic communication between characters is common.  But it needs to be differentiated between thoughts a character may have when thinking to him or herself because this also occurs in the book.  For the thoughts to oneself, I underline the words -- which a copy editor will translate as italics.  But since there is no standard in the industry to indicate telepathic communication, and after a few different formatting attempts, I settled on bold italics to indicate telepathic communication.  Why bold italics?  Because it leaps off the page at the reader and makes it plain to the editor(s) that this is different.  And it is also obvious enough that a copy editor won't miss it.  If an editor wants to choose another convention, fine.  But I don't think whatever s/he chooses will have the same level of impact as what I chose.  Unless s/he goes with BOLD ITALICS IN ALL CAPS but that would be stupid.

Best,

Michael

Next

Return to Tips and Advice