[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Good number for publishers : Conversation question • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Good number for publishers

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
kbreezee
Private E-1

Good number for publishers

Postby kbreezee » Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:13 pm

Okay so i just got a job which means that i can start on getting my book published. i was wondering how many publishers i should send my book to before i start looking for a literary agent? and where do you suggest i send it?
My story is a for young adults and is about street racing.

Thanks!

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Re: Good number for publishers

Postby mammamaia » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:07 am

why would you want to query any publishers, instead of trying to get an agent first?
ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

max2011
Captain

Postby max2011 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:57 pm

I think you should research for agents first. They can get you a better deal. You should still look into publishers if you want to mention to your agent.

kbreezee
Private E-1

Postby kbreezee » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:11 pm

I just want to save some money right now.

shadowwalker
Captain

Postby shadowwalker » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:19 am

"It seems rather like wanting to be ... a writer, rather than wanting to write. It should be a by-product, not a thing in itself. Otherwise, it's just an ego trip." - Roger Zelazny

It's really not that hard. Just tell me a story.

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby mammamaia » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:20 am

if you think you have to pay an agent up front, you'd better study up on the business end of being a writer... agents only get paid when you do... they take 15% of whatever you make on a book and will almost always get you a deal that will pay that much [or more] over what you can get on your own...
ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:34 pm

Susan
General

Postby Susan » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:55 pm

Hi Kbreeze,

Welcome!

Query agents first. They cost you nothing up front, anything they make comes from the sales of your published book. The agent is your best resource to approaching publishers. Do a search at querytracker.com for agents accepting your genre. Read their guidelines and submit accordingly.

Also, if you write YA, chances are you read it. Look to see if they thank their agents (most authors do). Those would be the ones to start with.

Good luck!
On the Write Path,
Susan

Come visit my blog: http://susanlittlefield.blogspot.com/

AnnabelleCharbit
Private E-1

Postby AnnabelleCharbit » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:31 pm

Yes but agents are not very nice. You're better off going directly to a publisher. I know its not done a s frequently these days, but try.
Good luck

When a girl with obsessive compulsive disorder falls in love with a sociopath, she fights for her sanity and her life.
http://www.ridiculouslife.net/

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby mammamaia » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:30 am

where did you get the erroneous idea that 'writers are not very nice'?!

and you're not necessarily 'better off going directly to a publisher' because many of the major ones don't accept unagented submissions and in any case, an agent can get you a better deal, will handle the hassle of negotiations and hold your hand throughout the publication process...

Next

Return to Conversation question