[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Blogged and Burned : Conversation question • Page 6 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Blogged and Burned

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
SaraM
Private E-1

RE: Blogged and Burned

Postby SaraM » Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:55 am

I'm a new blogger and have yet to be burned, though I'm sure there will be a snag somewhere as people love to complain. My blog posts are both nonfiction and fiction, but if my post is based on something actual, then I will ask that person if its ok to write about it and always change names...even if they are psyched that I'm writing about them.

loudermilk
Major

Postby loudermilk » Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:53 am

I was out four-wheeling in my Jeep, got blogged down in some muck, and burned up my clutch trying to get out.

No, wait. That was bogged. The "l" threw me off. Never mind. Guess my thinking is a little flogged up.

LateralUs
Private E-1

Postby LateralUs » Sun Jul 22, 2007 3:18 pm

a man's personal life tends to give a better picture of what his life really is like than what he tells a potential boss at a job interview (of course, if a job interviewer asks if you're a hard worker, everyone will answer yes, whether truthfully or not). people tend to be a bit more honest on blogs. even though it's a bit nosy of them, it's hard to blame the work industry for researching a man's background a little more by checking out their blogs.

abqwriter
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby abqwriter » Sun Jul 22, 2007 4:22 pm

Mikira
Master Sergeant

Postby Mikira » Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:51 am

I'm very careful of what I write in my blogs. I write some opinion pieces and some plan silliness. But I don't write about my life in general, unless it has something to do with the progress or lack of progress of the novels I'm working on.

Mikira

Amadoulah
Private E-1

Postby Amadoulah » Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:51 am

Blogs frustrate me. I've learned not to share personal details such as names and locations. But either good blogs are ignored among so many trashy ones, or opinionated know-it-alls start commenting and then I find myself censoring my thoughts, thinking "So-and-so won't like this and I don't want more nitpicking about my words." Then it ruins the point of the blog.

I post in one or two forums where there is 'usually' a response and/or a discussion about what I wrote (non-writing forums), or I write e-mails with one or two close friends who will discuss what I've written and add their thoughts or suggestions.

I still do private journal writing (my own version of "morning pages") ... but I haven't had much luck with blogs. It seems the really successful blogs are those willing to name names, post regularly and really put themselves out there. I'm not willing to do that :P Too many of those blogs or 'spaces' end up on Judge Judy because they slandered someone or otherwise made fools of themselves and got fired for it.

wandelaar123
Private E-2

Postby wandelaar123 » Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:01 pm

I have one blog and a group of readers who drop in on a regular basis. I somtimes wish for more but I know that a popular blog can be a mixed blessing. Blogging forces me to write even when I don't feel like writing so it is a way to develop an iron discipline! I'm working at it :)

greetings

Bobsher54
Private E-1

Postby Bobsher54 » Sun Nov 04, 2007 3:49 pm

Hi!
I am new to this forum, so be gentle with me! I talk to a lot of college professors in my work, and I have heard of many stories of students putting very personal (and sometimes unflattering) information onto their blogs. In a few cases these posts have come back years later to bite these students in the, well, aft. I have heard of former students being denied jobs, paying more for car insurance, and even winding up on suspected terrorist lists. And the last one is no fun when you go through airport security. I think that the common sense rule is that if you don't want to see something on the front page of the New York Times, then don't put it in writing. Duh!

slcboston
Private E-1

Postby slcboston » Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:15 am

I have to say that anyone who publishes a blog - using their real name or other easily identifiable terms - and then says something that people they know are going to take issue with, shouldn't be surprised when they run into negative reactions.

I think a lot of people forget that if others read their blog, and recognize themselves in it, then essentially you've come out and told that person the thoughts in your blog. So before you do post it, you might want to think: would you say this to the person face to face? Is this something that, in any other setting, you'd be comfortable telling someone? Or, more aptly, a group of someones?

Because if the answer to that is "no," then you probably ought to think twice about what you blog.

I keep two blogs: one's public, and mostly chronicles the activities of my daughter as she grows up, and then the private one where I just write about whatever strikes my family. That one is also public, but I don't post under my name and there are no personal details sufficient for someone to recognize, ever.

TygerValverde
Private E-1

Postby TygerValverde » Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:51 pm

I think a blog should give people a sample of our writing ability. So instead of rambling on about our private lives, how about a short opinion piece or reflective piece about something in our lives that touches, moves or irritates us?
That's what I do with mine anyway.

PreviousNext

Return to Conversation question