[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Banned--Or Simply Shunned? : Conversation question • Page 8 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Banned--Or Simply Shunned?

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
NMMillan
Sergeant

Re: Banned--Or Simply Shunned?

Postby NMMillan » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:42 pm

The link posted isn't working so I wasn't able to read the article, but I know I have seen much more controversial themes at Borders. Perhaps the story wasn't strong enough for the company to have faith in it's success?

Lynn62
Private E-1

RE: Banned--Or Simply Shunned?

Postby Lynn62 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:33 am

A bookstore's management team should be open-minded enough to understand that there are many styles of writing and an endless supply of topics on which to write. There will always be writing that offends people, but a bookstore is a place to showcase all different types of subject matter. Some of these topics are going to bother some people, but others will find the same subject matter extremely interesting.
Bookstore owners should have an open mind about all types of writing and should remember that it is the customer who drives his business. If his customers don't have a problem with any particular subject matter, then he shouldn't either.

MoonlightSkywriter
Private E-1

Postby MoonlightSkywriter » Tue May 03, 2011 4:01 am

I feel as an artist, and creator of writing my own stories, everyone is still hung up on sex.
the girl whose name was not really hers in the first place, told the story like it is.
I think that Borders or other bookstores have hangups on what is right and what is not.

I saw a book yesterday on how to have sex with your lover, the positions and having to show
the mans penis and a womans vagina, now was that banned and shunned? No. it was not it was
considered "Educational" but being a non virgin was not?

I can understand that books that taunt and hurt young girls that says, how she got raped, or
how these men forced her to do anal sex or have her give a man a bj is uncalled for, but she wanted
to say her own version on how she lost her virginity, whats so bad about that?

this is a natural cause in everyday life.

Also if you continue to read about in south africa how they take away a girls clitorius by cutting
it off of her at the age of 12 so she does not have any sensation when she does have sex with a man
or her husband, is this democracy on how to keep the woman at bay?

I really feel that these places need to push aside the idea and let the people decide what is good and not
let me decide what I shall read and do not ban or shun me for reading the things I wish to read.

Now we are living in a society who can tell us what kind of toliet paper we can use and how to wash our
faces... enough is enough already... I feel so strongly against someone putting their noses in my business!

shadowwalker
Captain

Postby shadowwalker » Tue May 03, 2011 4:16 am

Coming to the party a bit late, so the original link comes up 'not found'. Any way, I haven't seen any article that states Borders didn't like the content, or any definitive reason for not carrying it. But, as others mentioned, no book store is required to carry any book, and they don't have to give a reason for it. But I think most bookstores, unless it's a small specialty shop, look at potential sales versus shelf space. I would say very few are worried about taking 'moral stands' any more, since it seems as though anything goes nowadays. Certainly Borders isn't deciding what one can or cannot read, or purchase - they'll order the book if someone asks for it. If they were trying to be 'morality police' they wouldn't even do that.

LMGilbert
Lieutenant

Postby LMGilbert » Tue May 03, 2011 9:14 am

LMGilbert
Lieutenant

Postby LMGilbert » Tue May 03, 2011 9:14 am

Previous

Return to Conversation question