[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Classics vs.Moderns : Book Discussion • Page 3 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Classics vs.Moderns

Read a good book lately? Want to discuss it with others? Share what you're reading and find out what should be on your bookshelf.
sarrot
Private E-2

Re: Classics vs.Moderns

Postby sarrot » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:38 pm

It should not matter whether or not readers today do not have the attention span. There is use for drama and overembellisment. The classics I commend use all the same bag of tricks we writers use today. As long as human beings exist love, deceit, lust, war, hate, and greed will always be a part of our lives. Simplfying all these traits into a book without any substance is like wanting to eat pizza and ordering at Dominoes. You can have the real thing or you can have the fake, processed thing. Take for instance silent movies. Those of filled with overembellished facial expressions, but those movies are far better then slock put out today.
If what you say is true mg, then I have further reason to dislike modern books. It is an accomplishment to finish a classic. The same does not go for something like Twilight.
While everyone here has some beef with Nietzsche (probably due to the fault of his sister), it is an accomplishment to read him. I am an avid reader and still do not understand Zarathustra, while Birth of a Tragedy, Beyond Good and Evil, and the Will to Power were excellent reads. He flatly states that his books are not for anyone, so I cannot fault you for your dislike for him. But calling the first philosopher who truly believed that people decide their destiny and idiot is in bad taste. I know I have made mention of my dislike for Twain, but I gave reasons without calling him an idiot. I did call his work trash, but I justify that by comparing his work to what was written slightly before him. So, for those who can give me some reasons beyond he's an idiot, it would be greatly appreciated.
It should not matter whether the twentieth century produced the most amount of literature. No one acknowledges the past, calling it stupid, yet they try to reproduce it to make it better. Your right mg I am comparing apples to oranges. The fruitful apple of the classics and the rotting oranges of many modern, contemporary literature.

shadowwalker
Captain

Postby shadowwalker » Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:01 pm

sarrot
Private E-2

Postby sarrot » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:06 am

shadowwalker...
I am not saying anything that hasn't been said before. How pray tell am I denigrating every author on this board? I am not asking them to appease me. Frankly I will have this opinion no matter what. If you are too self-conscious on criticism from a stranger on a board how do you expect the truest criticism? Just so you know, I apply much harsher critisim to my own work. Everything I posted on the boards was the work I consider trash and would fully admit that I can never be like the masters I am trying to model myself after.
But you must admit that Bram Stoker has more depth then Stephaie Meir. You must admit that Sir Arhur Conan Doyle has more depth then Dan Brown. You must admit that Anna Karenina has more intrigue and romance than romance novels of today.
MG hit the closest to a discussion. He admitted that in the worldof Entertainment Tonight, readers have slower attention spans and do not take the time to read great works. So, in my mind, that means author lower themselves to appease them creating lousy works. You are the one trying to lecture me. All I was doing was posing a legitimate arguement.

shadowwalker
Captain

Postby shadowwalker » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:37 pm

sarrot
Private E-2

Postby sarrot » Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:56 am

Shadowwalker...
I will simply end this by saying that I gave my reasoning for my thinking citing examples. You on the other hand chose to use ad hominem attacks and attacking some simple points that does not really connect to my main point. Furthermore, even not knowing who i really am, do you think that I would be offended by your wonderful compliment of me being elitist; I fully admit that I am an elitist and proud of it. Elitists encourage the arts and wants something great.
If you think that what I am saying is elitist whining, that I am unqualified to make a comment like this, how do you expect people to hear true criticism from a real critic. You give me a work, I give an honest opinion. I am an used rather have an elitist, egotisical person determine

I do not limit myself and give me support to people who deserve it. I have found people on this site who are far better than me. I never said I was any good. If they are good I say so. If they are not I do not post. If they ask for critiques I give it, while having the author stay true.

But put down examples how moderns are of equal par to the classics and then I will give some ground. While my opinion is unpopular, I do give a fair shake to everything I read.

Melysnl
Private E-1

Postby Melysnl » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:40 pm

One of my favorite books, The Secret History, is arguably a contemporary classic. Donna Tartt was paid a nearly half a million dollars advance in the 90's to publish that book, unprecedented at the time. Quite a few other contemporary writers have mastered the art of storytelling and writing poetic, lyrical prose like their classical counterparts--John Updike (The Rabbit Series), James Michener, Anne Rice, Stephen King, and Joseph Heller.
Humankind cannot bear very much reality. -TS Eliot

Bridgetoo
Private E-1

Postby Bridgetoo » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:35 pm

I agree and disagree, Shakespeare was pure genius but look for one author like him these days you will come close but no one competes with Romeo and Juliet, or Hamlet. Although, I must make an arguement for the moderns because authors, much like music and fashion are supposed to evolve and thats what makes the classics, classics.

EccentricKim
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby EccentricKim » Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:36 pm

Just think, for every "classic" there were probably hundreds of other books written back then that never make it into today's reading lists. Today, it's probably just the same. There are works that in the future will be considered "classics", and then there are the commercialized or what I like to call "candy" books that are successful for a brief time, but then become forgotten.

I think being educated on classics and modern is very important, and if you want to read a certain book, then you can write it yourself!
Previously published writer starting over.

j t hall
Master Sergeant

Postby j t hall » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:25 am

Last edited by j t hall on Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
It's amazing what we can do when we stop accepting limits.

http://www.carolynsworld.wordpress.com
http://www.carolyncarceo.wordpress.com

LMGilbert
Lieutenant

Postby LMGilbert » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:34 pm

Just to be a total pain, my question would be: Who decides what's "classic" and what's "modern?" Does modern mean the era of Modernism, like Stravinski in music or Gertrude Stein in poetry? Or does it mean contemporary, as in, the past five years? Isn't there also a category now called "Modern Classics" which might include someone like Lawrence Durrell or James Joyce? To be even more annoying, why can't the writing world have it's own Mojo Magazine type of thing and declare "Instant Classics?"

PreviousNext

Return to Book Discussion