You're My Inspiration

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
AndreaClimbing
Private E-1

Re: You're My Inspiration

Postby AndreaClimbing » Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:57 am

Well, at first, nobody really. I just started writing stories as soon as I could write in sentences. Then somebody told me (can't remember who, I was 6) that somebody who writes stories is called a writer and that it is a profession. :) My teachers at primary school encouraged me in my writing, but at secondary school, wanting to become a writer was something for dreamers. You couldn't make a living out of it and probably weren't good enough anyway. (That's a bit of Dutch mentality for you :) ) For years, I only wrote in my diary. In my early twenties, I tried to write again, but hated what I'd written. Then J.K. Rowling came along. I remember her saying in an interview that if you want to be a writer, you just have to keep writing until one day, you write something that you actually like. That's what I did. I owe her one.
Now, I'm inspired by every book that I read, and also by watching actors. Liam Neeson's work gave me the idea for my current project.

Azariascout
Private E-1

Postby Azariascout » Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:24 am

I think I've always known I wanted to write. I used to tap away at my grandfather's typewriting, nonsensical stuff, but it was a story to me. Then came the pages and pages of squiggle lines, then came pictures from catalogs that could be pasted to pages to make a story book. When I finally could write sentences, I was off and haven't stopped. I can credit the encouragement of countless teachers who happily read my stories and gave me constructive criticism--even at seven.
The one teacher though that stands out most was a high school English teacher. She read one of my stories, and told me my writing reminded her of Sylvia Plath. I was a bit insulted, as I was 15 and I knew Plath had killed herself by sticking her head in an oven. I thought my teacher meant I was heading in that direction. But then she cleared it up and said I had found my distinct voice, and that no matter what anyone ever said, not to let that go.
I've had friends and relations encourage me along the way, and their support is amazing.

kellyspashon
Private E-1

RE: You're My Inspiration

Postby kellyspashon » Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:05 pm

I can not remember a time when I have not wanted to write. Whether it was me, at the age of 3, asking my parents complex questions (at least for a 3 year old) or playing with my Barbie, Ken's and Skipper dolls - I have always wanted to 'know'. And that innate desire to 'know' kept and keeps me writing.

I struggle, like most writers, because I'm never quite sure if I've found my voice. Never certain if what I'm writing is really what people want to hear or what I really should be saying. I've been writing since I could lift a pen and at the age of thirty (none of your business) I'm still asking that same question.

I wonder if, in reality, it's supposed to be answered. Maybe that is my inspiration - the fact that I'm constantly trying to find out 'who' I am and 'why' I am. Age old question for sure - but relevant to my situation none the less.

So, in short, my inspiration is LIFE. And the desire to know everything I possibly can before I leave this earth. Maybe one day it will all turn into something, answering my life long question. Only problem is - then what will I do? :-) :emoticon:

proudceltic7
Private E-1

Postby proudceltic7 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:07 pm

I've been inspired by so many people along the way, but I admire all of my teachers, because even though I dont really care for most of them, they have tried their hardest to get me to work for my goals. :o

proudceltic7
Private E-1

Postby proudceltic7 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:10 pm

Wow. That was inspiring in itself. Now I might need to rethink my response... ;)

Gorandius
Private E-1

Postby Gorandius » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:49 am

To try and remember much else before my time in the Navy is hard, but my inspirations will always stick with me...I need them to...

My first inspiration is easily a cliche, but it is the both of my parents as they would read to me when I was ignorant to the ideas of fiction or non-fiction. Hearing all these stories of things that were anthropomorphized into animation, worlds where I would never be able to go, and things I would never be able to do at such a young age is without a doubt the absolution of my creativity.

Learning to read stories on my own was an immense boost to the intriguing idea of creating my own worlds and the stories born from them.

There are countless authors I could attribute to inspiration within my braincage, though a good deal amount of their names escape me. The ones most profound are H.P. Lovecraft, Edgar Allen Poe, William Shakespeare, C.S. Lewis, Dan Abnett, and more recently than those for me, William Faulkner.

All of the friends that I have made and lost throughout my twenty-one years too short lifetime have more than certainly made a big impact on my style, composure, and vindication.

Also within my lifetime, all of the experiences I have had the chance, or mishap, to be apart of.

To conclude my list of inspirations instead of continuing this on and becoming a rambler, I'll just wrap it up with the general of all terms: Life.

elessarswife
Private E-2

Postby elessarswife » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:04 pm

Actually, my 5th grade class did...whoa, that was a long time ago. Anyhow, before I date myself to the Stone Age, we had a creative writing period at the elementary school I attended. The teacher gave us a weekly story topic and we could choose how we wrote it and had to read it in front of the whole class. For some kids, recess was the highlight of their day or lunchtime or art class or going home. The highlight of my day was the chance to entertain my class, my unwilling captive audience. The thrill of reading it aloud and hearing a laugh or two at a funny part or the "oohs" at a scary or bad part- it was such a pure high. My teacher only encouraged me to write, no matter how ridiculous I got. I remember her to this day and was sad when she was transferred to another school the following year. Funny thing is that as I've gotten older, I now know where I got the writing gene from- my own mother! It's so strange and fascinating but true: sometimes you can't tell what you inherit from your parents until you start aging and then little nuggets like this one in particular hit you smack in the face and you're left thinking: "Ohhhh."

JohnBriggs
Private E-1

Postby JohnBriggs » Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:43 am

As soon as I could write sentences no matter how good they were, I was writing. Maybe that only partly answers what my inspiration is, so here is the other part of it anything can inspire me to write, a word or sentence from a book or just something that happened in my daily life; which is a book in itself and the characters are already pre-set.

JohnBriggs
Private E-1

Postby JohnBriggs » Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:43 am

As soon as I could write sentences no matter how good they were, I was writing. Maybe that only partly answers what my inspiration is, so here is the other part of it anything can inspire me to write, a word or sentence from a book or just something that happened in my daily life; which is a book in itself and the characters are already pre-set.

pippi
Private E-1

Postby pippi » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:40 pm

My father was a successful science fiction author with 32 books in print. He unexpectedly passed away six months ago at a young age. I have always wanted to follow in his footsteps and become a writer. In the pass I have written some short stories but had put off becoming serious about it until his death. His death made me realize that we just don't know how much time we have on this earth. He had so much more to write about and it all came to a sudden halt. He has somehow planted this seed within me to write and I am now finally getting serious about it and have become very passionate about it. Every spare moment I have I spend it writing or researching and just love it! I am in the process of writing my first novel and happy to say I am approaching chapter sixteen. My father is my inspiration for my passion to write and not IF but WHEN I get published my first novel will be dedicated to him.

PreviousNext

Return to Conversation question