Your Uncle's Will - 5/24

The editors of Writer's Digest provide a weekly Writing Prompt to get your writing going.
Brian
Lieutenant

Your Uncle's Will - 5/24

Postby Brian » Mon May 02, 2011 4:20 am

Brian
Lieutenant

Your Uncle's Will - 5/24

Postby Brian » Mon May 02, 2011 4:20 am

After living for years paycheck to paycheck, a windfall of money comes your way from a distant uncle. But in order to receive the money, you must complete a mission from your uncle's will. What's the mission and did you do it?

You can post your response (750 words or fewer) here.

VikkiJJ
Private E-1

Re: Your Uncle's Will - 5/24

Postby VikkiJJ » Tue May 24, 2011 7:47 am

My uncle had always been an eccentric man, with views and opinions that generally did not mesh with anyone else in my family. Not only did he not fit in, but his unusual and outlandish perspective often caused rifts in our little circle and my father always hated him for it, which is why I was so shocked when I heard he had died. I hadn’t seen him since I was a kid and my family had entirely broken off contact with him when he decided to pack up and move to some strange commune of activists. Little did they know he was the catalyst for a hugely successful green movement in the West and his movement was now moving right into my life.
My father called me early that Saturday morning, briefly told me Uncle Mike had died and that I needed to meet him in town to discuss the will. Will? The first thing that popped into my mind when I heard that word was money, but Uncle Mike was an eccentric hippie, how much money could he have? For all I know, he had left me his beat up VW vanagon and a compost pile somewhere in Oregon.
So I reluctantly dragged myself out of the mess that was my bed, the floor strewn with laundry that I didn’t have the money to wash right now. Found something to wear that was relatively clean and made my way downtown to the small lawyers offices on High Street. My father met me in the small waiting room and sat there silently, which was odd for him. His normal routine was to start with something easy, like the weather, and work his way up to why I wasted all my time and his money on college if I wasn’t going to use my degree to make a decent living. It was almost as if he wanted me to admit that I enjoyed making a crap salary doing something I hated because I was too lazy to find something better. It was a pointless debate and one we had often, which was why I kept my mouth shut.
“Sorry about Uncle Mike,” I said offhandedly, my voice breaking the silence between us awkwardly. He grumbled and nodded in acknowledgment, but didn’t say anything. When the lawyer called us into the conference room, his mood seemed to darken even more. I realized he never wanted anything to do with his brother, but I had the distinct feeling he didn’t want me to have anything to do with him either.
The lawyer sat across from us and pulled out a manila folder stuffed with paperwork, then he looked up at me with a smile.
“As you know, Michael Hughes passed away on the twenty-third. At the time of his passing, he was unmarried and had no heirs.”
“Heirs?” my father chimed in with a chuckle. “Why would he need heirs? He was practically a hobo.”
“Well,” the lawyer said as he cleared his throat and pulled out a form from his pile, “your hobo brother was a very wealthy man. He had stock in several agricultural arenas as well as his investments in his green services.”
“When you say wealthy, what are we talking here?” my father asked incredulously. My mouth had suddenly gone as dry as the veins in my body.
“3.7 million dollars.” There was dead silence in the room and a bead of sweat burst from my lip.
“Million?” I asked dryly.
“Million,” the lawyer said with a knowing smile. “And you are to be the happy owner of these funds.”
I immediately dropped my head onto my forearms on the table in front of me. 3.7 million! I could finally do laundry! Why that was the first thing that popped into my mind, I have no idea.
“There is one catch though,” the lawyer added and with a groan I raised my head and looked to my father. “There is a stipulation in the will that states these funds are to be yours only if you agree to take over his property in Oregon and continue with the green movement he started.”
“Where do I sign?”

Return to Writing Prompts and Challenges