Flat Fees vs. Hourly Rates

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
DBergendorf
Sergeant

Re: Flat Fees vs. Hourly Rates

Postby DBergendorf » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:24 am

I, too, write for a publishing company that has a total of five books. But each one is independent, and some coordination is needed. I get a flat fee (only $50 for front of the book stuff or to help an editor with research, but up to $400 for major features). Typical one-pager is 550 words, and pays $150. Four pager gets the $400. We tend to negotiate, very informally. Sometimes a story just flows, other times it's pulling teeth to get the material.

I estimate that I get about $45 an hour for all work involved in a piece. One thing is that I'm somewhat of an expert (or at least very familiar with the firm's subjects), so research and interviews aren't a problem (I have a pretty good "Rolodex").

I've considered doing flack work, but never gotten around to it. I should thought. Get that hourly rate up to $75 or $100.

I like the flat rate. But you have to make sure you know what you're getting into, and don't shortchange yourself.

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Re: Flat Fees vs. Hourly Rates

Postby mammamaia » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:44 pm

I, too, write for a publishing company that has a total of five books. But each one is independent, and some coordination is needed.

...five books isn't much of a catalog!... and once they're published, they need no further editing... so did you mean five 'imprints'?

Previous

Return to Conversation question