Shades of Gray

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Re: Shades of Gray

Postby mammamaia » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:33 pm

don't forget that other than book writers can also 'be published'!

for instance, i've 'been published' [and yes, for pay!] in newspapers and magazines... though columns, articles, short stories don't get an isbn # or a listing on amazon, they still count toward my being a 'published author/writer'...

-Andy-
Private E-1

Re: Shades of Gray

Postby -Andy- » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:46 am

I like to go to a critique group with my writing. I print seven copies of my piece. It is a print run of seven copies. I experience a great deal of satisfaction in sharing my seven copies with the group and reading the piece out loud.

An online acquaintance of mine has a longstanding poetry thread. Over one thousand rather abstract experimental poems posted in six years. It has over 50,000 views. Most traditionally published poetry books, heck, most traditionally published books of any kind, will never get looked at 50,000 times.

Internet publishing is funny that way. It can be powerful, far reaching, and personally satisfying. And I think there is some sort of vetting process for online pubs: high-quality and/or appealing published pieces will be shared among people. Page views go up, word of mouth increases, search ranking improves, readers give their energy back to the writer so he can keep going, etc. If the work is shabby, the writer is bound to run out of energy and the online pieces quickly fade away into obscurity.

Previous

Return to Conversation question