Will Print Magazines Survive?

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
MonikaM
Private E-2

Re: Will Print Magazines Survive?

Postby MonikaM » Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:04 pm

The print magazines are here to play more. the e-versions have just only come up but for an avid reader, holding a magazine in hand is still important. and yes they will sell itself till the PLAYBOY continues to get printed!!!

MonikaM

Neets
Master Sergeant

Postby Neets » Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:09 am

I can't get my perfume samples from an e-reader.

Monika: LOL

(Actually, some of the ladies' magazines REEK of perfume)

/DOS days graphic artist here, former "stripper" (I prefer to say Image Placement Technician), but when the Macs came they changed everything in my little world.

Sierra Scribbler
Private E-1

RE: Will Print Magazines Survive?

Postby Sierra Scribbler » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:02 pm

I just don't see how, with Readers like Kindle, and Nook being developed. Apple is supposed to be coming up with a reader. Many incredible aesthetic and functional adjustments have been made to the Readers, making them very enticing. And with the push to be eco friendly, it seems to be the movement.
I do know however, that real books, will become great treasures in the future. Hold onto your classics and favorites.

;)

bkmitchell
Private E-1

Postby bkmitchell » Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:52 am

I think that print magazines will be around forever. The change that I predict is that the information superhighway will force the print companies into a new form of competition. With the speed, availability, and cost effectiveness of online magazines it seems natural that people will gravitate toward these versions; forcing the paper versions out of the supermarkets and into the museums. However, people read magazines in doctors offices, barber shops, hotel lobbies, etc. Unless the whole world becomes wireless and everyone in it is perpetually never without their laptop or other wifi device, paper magazines will still exist. The battle that has already begun is within each genre of magazine. The most popular, the biggest sellers, thrive even in the face of online editions and rising postal fees. The less popular raise their cost in an effort to compensate for lower sales; beginning a downward spiral toward extinction.

booklover
Private E-1

Postby booklover » Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:17 am

:) I love picking out a magazine to open up the pages to read. Nothing like turning the pages to see what is next. Not that there is anything bad about the internet basically one can read so much especially one's that you cannot find anywhere around you. But I say as long as people still puchase paper magazines they still have a chance to live on in the future. :)

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby mammamaia » Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:55 pm

of course they will... for one main reason... ADVERTISING!

where/how else can perfumemakers assail our nostrils with their free 'scratch-me's?... and where else can all those other high-end-to-low-life advertisers tout their wares to so many people who'll then pass their ads on to even more, since magazines have such a long 'afterlife'?

and kindle/nook/whatever aside, what else is so portable and browsable, requiring no batteries and capable of being rolled, folded, tossed, and otherwise abused with no risk of serious damage?... plus, have you ever tried swatting flies with your kindle?

Mariella
Private E-1

Postby Mariella » Sun Dec 26, 2010 6:08 pm

I have more faith in what's printed on a paper page. The rest of media is so transitory. As to magazines - seems more likely that writers and other artists are more careful in the composition because of the permanence. A magazine can't be changed or taken down once its out there. I can drip coffee on it or make notes in my own handwriting. I get a longer chance to go back again and again and be sure the material is still there, unchanged - until it turns yellow, but I can laminate it if I choose. (My "poor man's" lamination sometimes involves covering it with a really good translucent tape.)

Don't most none-paper devices depend on some transmitting agent out there, what if that goes down or I can't afford the service anymore?

Electronic devices are great for researching. The difference between words on the page and electronic/wireless or whatever media is like the difference between being on a fast-sailing ship and terra firma.

Just me - but I hope a lot of people prefer magazines for the these or other reasons.

The rising cost of postage or other delivery may be the real deal breaker. Sad to say.

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby mammamaia » Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:41 pm

it's true that magazine subscriptions may fall by the wayside due to economic woes, but i can't see them disappearing from newstands and bookstores...

lvcabbie
Master Sergeant

Postby lvcabbie » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:25 am

It's somewhat like the old claims that radio would do away with newspapers.
Then, it was that television would do away with radio.
And then the Sony Walkman would do away with phonograph players.

Anyone see a trend here?

MSfinished
Corporal

Postby MSfinished » Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:19 pm

The question about print magazines comes down to advertising. Subscription fees are not sufficient to defray production and mailing costs for any magazine. They rely on the advertiser revenue for profit. As long as businesses believe that print magazines are a good way to reach customers, there will be print magazines. By the way, they judge that by the demographics of subscribers...how many readers, what social/fiscal characteristics, etc. Editors and owners are doing everything possible to keep those subscriber stats healthy.

PreviousNext

Return to Conversation question