Does Free Pay?

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
ThoughtfulPen
Private E-1

Re: Does Free Pay?

Postby ThoughtfulPen » Tue May 12, 2009 6:27 pm

I love writing so much that I would give it away free just to see my book in print, at bookstores and to get it in the hands of the readers. I don't think my husband would appreciate that, so in order to give up my day job(s), I would need to make some money from my passion to devote to writing. However I am writing a book online through storywrite.com to let people know my style. If I can gather an audience then those that read my online story (free as I cannot sell it), those people just might search out my book at a store knowing they like my writing style. That free access to my work is worth the time I put into it and I think it will ultimately look pretty good on a query letter to an agent or editor. They'll know I'm marketable and come with a built in audience.
~Lindsey
Visit me at http://thewritewords-lindsey.blogspot.com/

DBergendorf
Sergeant

Postby DBergendorf » Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:15 am

I certainly question Anderson's assertion that "debates over free vs. pay on line are ending." Right now there's a lot of debate within newspapers about shifting the emphasis on subscriptions from hard copies to on-line editions. Several major NPs are now charging subscription fees for what had been free content, and there have been many complaints from people who believe that such content, as well as everything on the internet, should be free. Publishers the world over are debating the efficacy of such programs.

MonikaM
Private E-2

RE: Does Free Pay?

Postby MonikaM » Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:48 pm

Thank You for the information.

sihirhujan
Private E-1

Postby sihirhujan » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:50 pm

What I'd love to do (if given the chance) is create two version.

A digital 'Lite' version of the book and a 'Full' version. The 'Lite' one would be free, while the 'Full' one is paid.

The Lite one itself is not an incomplete version of the book. But of the same essence as the Full one, only shorter and/or lighter.

For example a couple of short stories (Lite version) given in free digital form to promote a novel (Full version). Both books have a tight relationship to one another of course.

To take a real world example: J.K. Rowling, had she not been famous already, could give away her 'Tales of Beedle the Bard' or 'Quidditch Throught the Ages' books for free in order to promote the 'Harry Potter' series.

sihirhujan
Private E-1

Postby sihirhujan » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:50 pm

What I'd love to do (if given the chance) is create two version.

A digital 'Lite' version of the book and a 'Full' version. The 'Lite' one would be free, while the 'Full' one is paid.

The Lite one itself is not an incomplete version of the book. But of the same essence as the Full one, only shorter and/or lighter.

For example a couple of short stories (Lite version) given in free digital form to promote a novel (Full version). Both books have a tight relationship to one another of course.

To take a real world example: J.K. Rowling, had she not been famous already, could give away her 'Tales of Beedle the Bard' or 'Quidditch Throught the Ages' books for free in order to promote the 'Harry Potter' series.

DBergendorf
Sergeant

Postby DBergendorf » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:08 am

For the handful of us who have actually been in retail (and I mean management or entrepreneurship, not just manning the register during the holidays), this is little more than "loss-leader." Take something, give it away, then hope the masses like it so much that they buy the next version.

ReelBob
Private E-1

Postby ReelBob » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:32 pm

My thoughts?

Free don't feed the kids or pay the rent! AND, if you don't feel your work is valuable, how can someone else?

Thanks for listening.

Previous

Return to Conversation question