Kentucky

We're looking for the hottest literary hot spots across the U.S. and need your help.
Brian
Lieutenant

Kentucky

Postby Brian » Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:57 am

Brian
Lieutenant

Kentucky

Postby Brian » Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:57 am

List your Literary Hot Spots in Kentucky:

Name of City/Town:
Name of Hot Spot:
What makes this spot so great for writers?

While photos aren't required, we'd love them. If you don't know how to post a photo on our forum, visit "How do I post a picture?" in our forum's FAQ section:
http://www.writersdigest.com/mbbs/forum ... 87&posts=1

drpayne
Private E-1

RE: Kentucky

Postby drpayne » Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:49 am

I like to write at the Panera Bread in Palomar Center in Lexington, Kentucky. The drink refills are free and there are comfortable places to sit and lots of AC outlets for your laptop charger. There are usually several other people - many college students - there with laptops and occassionly I run into another writer. Since Joseph Beth's book store changed ownership and became writer unfriendly I am expecting many of that old group to migrate here because it is geographically nearby.

KGU
Private E-2

Postby KGU » Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:36 am

Name of City/Town: Berea, Kentucky
Name of Hot Spot: any of the local coffee shops
What makes this spot so great for writers? I don't live in Berea (I live in Fort Thomas, Kentucky) but I've been there several times. It's an artisan community so while there, you're surrounded by creative people and not just writers—craftsmen, jewelry makers, potters, quilters, etc. This type of creative energy always inspires me.

Kara Gebhart Uhl
managing editor
Writer's Digest magazine

Jen13
Private E-1

Postby Jen13 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:23 am

List your Literary Hot Spots in Kentucky:

Name of City/Town: Lexington, KY
Name of Hot Spot: Carnegie Center for Literacy & Learning

What makes this spot so great for writers? No matter what genre or stage you're at with your writing, there are affordable writing workshops led by authors or writing professionals in an intimate atmosphere conducive to creativity. There are also author readings & signings, book discussions, one-on-one writer mentoring, writing contests, and more for Kentuckians who love to read and write. First time authors have become published because of the help they received at The Carnegie Center.

You never know who you'll run into: a bestselling or award-winning author, an unpublished writer working on a book, an MFA student there for some nurturing... And, with free wifi, comfy chairs, and coffee for a quarter, it's a place where writers come to work on their writing for hours at a time outside of workshops.

sinthesis
Private E-1

Postby sinthesis » Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:05 pm

In the summer at least, St. Stephen Cemetery in Newport/Fort Thomas/Southgate. Old stones, the mausoleums, and the gazebos there always inspire me. Park my car down by the river, too, and write there.

Inside places, I'm still looking for in the Northern Kentucky area. I'd love to hear some suggestions!

In Louisville, Heine Bros. coffee on Lexington Ave. The area feels comfortable with lots of shops and eclecticism without being overly pretentious or snobby.

joeybrah
Private E-1

Re: Kentucky

Postby joeybrah » Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:35 pm

Name of City/Town: Radcliff, KY
Name of Hot Spot: Bearclaw Co.
What makes this spot so great for writers? Its very relaxing and peaceful; it gives me a good thinking place. I like to sit down, drink a banana and strawberry smoothie, maybe eat some dessert, and write. The music there is suttle and gives a good background.

Return to Literary Hot Spots