Surviving Criticism

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
restlessrick
Private E-1

Re: Surviving Criticism

Postby restlessrick » Thu May 07, 2009 4:51 pm

While working at a radio station, I pitched some ideas for radio shows (our station was one of those bottom dwellers that didn't even show up on the Arbitron ratings). Among the many I pitched was a show talking about Christian issues (designed to let listeners give their opinions), a weekend news countdown and even a comedy show. The comedy show would include various sketches, such as professional wrestlers providing commentary for a chess match.

So, the producer of the station's main talk show host comes up to me in front a few people, references the ideas and says, "PLLLLLLBBBBFFF!"

I almost called him a word I don't use unless I'm absolutely furious. I told him I saw no point in him giving criticism like that, that he didn't have to be a pill to tell me he didn't like the ideas.

He told me an entire show about chess commentary sounded boring, and I thought, it makes sense. Why should I listen to a guy who didn't even read my proposals?

It taught me to take great criticism and weed out the useless.

restlessrick
Private E-1

Postby restlessrick » Thu May 07, 2009 4:52 pm

There was also an editor for a northern magazine who loved a comedy piece I wrote...and then I wrote another of the same vein and she suddenly said she found nothing in it funny. Oh well. You win some and lose others.

Chandara5
Private E-2

Postby Chandara5 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:03 pm

For me the worst criticism comes from my family. The rejections i have gotten from "professionals" (2) were very optimistic with notes and an invitation to resubmit. The way I handle my family... I write and keep writing and when I publish I am taking a very long and quiet vacation, by myself. This thought keeps me going. LOL

BookWhirl.com
Private E-1

Postby BookWhirl.com » Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:26 pm

Criticisms either way can be hurtful. But objective criticism can make you a better person, it motivates you to improve on your craft. But if the criticism is obviously non-sense, just ignore it. Hating your work won't make them climb to prestige anyway.

Madeline Fincher

Get interesting tips and articles on book marketing at http://www.facebook.com/pages/Book-Mark ... 4852370417

Previous

Return to Conversation question