[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Will Print Magazines Survive? : Conversation question • Page 6 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Will Print Magazines Survive?

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
mdbrewer
Private E-1

RE: Will Print Magazines Survive?

Postby mdbrewer » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:03 am

I agree that no one can say for sure how long print will survive, but I am hoping with all my heart that print lives on forever. Two reasons:

1) Nothing, for me, will ever replace the comfort and enjoyment of curling up someplace with a magazine or book. I'm proficient with electronics and technology, but it's simply not the same, nor can it be.

2) I strongly believe that a free society must have print media in order to remain free. Electronic media is simply a much easier target for hacking, tampering and censorship. While print media could be maliciously altered, it's much more difficult and highly unlikely. With electronic publications, there are simply too many opportunities for information to be changed or blocked, even with advances in security. The China-Google situation and the Internet choke-hold in Iran are two good examples. Even in the most oppressive societies, print can flourish, even covertly, and these can be essential to gaining and maintaining freedom. Plus, print can reach even the poorest citizens.

Losing freedom may seem unimaginable to us, but preserving print is of utmost importance. Digital can do much good, and can facilitate freedom for many, but print is irreplaceable.

SueW
Private E-1

Re: Will Print Magazines Survive?

Postby SueW » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:57 am

I agree with WeekendWordsmith and Timeless. I have just ordered a Kindle and am excited to begin using it. But there is something about the smell and feel of a book, that I would seriously miss if they were no longer in print. The electronic age is great and most of us use it daily, but I think it would be a shame if we no longer had books, magazines or libraries to enjoy. I belong to four different book clubs and pass most of my books on to others when I am done with them. And just think of the people out of work if this became a reality.
I think that books and magazines in print will continue. People are buying them, and as long as there is a demand, there will be a supply. As far as magazines going bimonthly, this allows me to keep up with all my subscriptions.

Susan Cross
Private E-1

Postby Susan Cross » Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:02 pm

I hope so. I wouldn't want to take my laptop into a bubble bath and I like a real magazine to read in bed.

From experience as a contributing writer to magazines, I am very discouraged. I have watched the page count of the regional go from approximately 150 down to 80. The staff has dwindled and is writing most of the feature articles. They're replaced people like me (after almost 5 years with this magazine) with 4 interns. I didn't realize that initially until I read the first story by a newcomer. The word 'focused' was used 4 times in 2 paragraphs and success was used 3 times. You get what you pay for!

cryaegm
Sergeant First Class

Postby cryaegm » Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:10 pm

One would hope. I have trouble reading online sometimes because of my astigmatism, and I find reading a book/magazine that you can hold is so worth more than reading on the computer. And besides, you won't have to worry about viruses or anything, unlike you would with computers if you're not careful. ;)

George
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby George » Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:19 pm

"The times they are a changing..."
Print magazines, especially trade mags, as well as newspapers are kept in business by paid
advertising and not subscribers...and more and more advertisers are turning to other media,
most noticeably going online. That's too bad but that's the way it is.

matthewward
Private E-1

Postby matthewward » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:15 pm

I think print publications will be around for a while. I hope they will be around forever. I agree with other posters here who feel that there is just something "special" about feeling the paper in your hand, having the words in ink right in front of you. However, I do have this nagging fear in the back of my head that thinks society may slowly do away with print publications with "environmental" and "ease of access" excuses. But, then again... there is a man in my town who prints his own newspaper. It's very successful for the town, and he does it on his own. He earns nothing from it. So I think as long as there are people who love print, there will be people who will provide print.

Matthew
http://mdward.webs.com

JasonFontaine
Lieutenant

Postby JasonFontaine » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:00 am

I get to play with new technology at work - they WILL survive. They've never had any medium since the format they currently rely on...costs are killing them. Google MacBook Touch. Google Microsoft Reader - these two devices, arriving early 2010 - will revolutionize the print industry. Bigger than an ITouch - totally interactive - yet much smaller than a traditional laptop.

Instead of saying the internet killed the print industry - publishers should embrace the technology and develop it further.

Imagine 100 years ago - if an e-reader was given to someone reading a book. They would jump for joy! Today we pine for paper. Why? The internet does everything those publishers 100 years ago could only dream of! I am optimistic - but early next year when Apple and Microsoft bring out their new devices - it could very well be a game changer in the RIGHT direction! :)

abqwriter
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby abqwriter » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:23 am

JasonFontaine
Lieutenant

Postby JasonFontaine » Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:51 pm

I will DEFINITELY check it out. How do you go about putting an Iphone App together? I have no clue - but have some ideas.....NASA is not really into the "MAC" world yet - but they're getting there. I just went to a convention and Apple was EVERYWHERE. I LOVE my MAC!!!! Big Macs Too! :)
If you could send me some info maybe offline about putting an application together - I'd be much, much appreciative....THANKS!

abqwriter
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby abqwriter » Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:22 pm

At this point, developing an app takes working with someone who is a certified developer for Apple. My husband and his partners started a new company about a year and a half ago, and this is their field. I told him that when their tools were ready, I wanted to be a customer and be their guinea pig. So I'm getting a free app with a revenue share agreement out of it in exchange for letting them drive the timelines, available features, etc. And considering that getting an app developed can cost upwards of $60,000 I count myself very, very fortunate to get to launch this app.

I imagine that eventually the iPhone app world will be much like websites today - tools to allow the average user the ability to create at least a basic app without the assistance of such expensive experts.

I'll let you know when it launches! :D

PreviousNext

Return to Conversation question