Dear John Letter - 10/6

The editors of Writer's Digest provide a weekly Writing Prompt to get your writing going.
JessMullen
Private E-1

RE: Dear John Letter - 10/6

Postby JessMullen » Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:19 am

Dear Jess,

I remember the day I first saw you at the thrift store. After waiting months and months in a pile of neglected tables, chairs, sofas, and buffets, I was just coming to terms with what I thought would be my fate: faded, broken down for firewood, never to support a book or lamp again. But then you found me, and I was sure my life had turned around. You scoffed at those who had said you’d paid too much. ”It’s green,” you’d said, as you admired my antique details. At last I’d felt of use again.

Or so I’d thought. After a few years I realized I was nothing to you but another surface area upon which to leave your receipts, your pay stubs, you empty piggy bank. I held a lamp for you, Jess, but even that had no lightbulb. With the purchase of a laptop you no longer saw the need to read yourself to sleep. Your books remained scattered on the floor, as though I was not there.

And now I am not there. I am sorry it has come to this, but I have found somebody new. While you were watching “Antiques Roadshow” I learned what it meant to be a nightstand with value, to be cherished. I’ll not tell you where I’m going because I don’t want you to try to find me, but know that I am worth more than the $20 you spent years ago.

As I said, please do not come looking for me. You know how you hate to see your old things at Boomerang’s. This would not be any better. For either of us.

So long,

Your olive nightstand.

nohow
Private E-1

Re: Dear John Letter - 10/6

Postby nohow » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:49 am

Dear John,

It hurts, knowing that you don’t need me anymore. Every day, I wait expectantly for you to come but you don’t. With each passing day, my hope dwindles and my memory of you fades. I want to see your bright eyed smile, to hear your innocent laughter again but it seems you have forgotten me. I knew that you would not return the day you put me here but, full of hope, I waited. Sometimes, I can hear you, through the window, outside, with your friends. I smile at those times, knowing that you have grown up strong and healthy, remembering how I once made you laugh so. It is quiet up here. The boxes, they keep piling up and with each one I am pushed further to the back. It is cold but sometimes, when the sun is just right, I can remember what it feels like to be warm and loved. You will search for me when you read this letter but it will be too late. Those people, they have come to take me away. Did you remember me when you made your promise to them? It does not matter now. My time with you is at an end and I will say goodbye. When I am taken away, I will meet new children and make new memories, but you will always be my first true friend. For that, I thank you. Goodbye.

Sincerely,

The Little Rocking Horse

jillian7682
Private E-1

Postby jillian7682 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:13 am

Dear “You love the cat more than me”,

This is one of the hardest letters I’ve ever had to write. When we first met, it was a whirlwind, so full of excitement. I soon realized that we are both looking for different things. Sometimes it happens. It’s normal and natural.
I regret that it took you having to sit on me to realize that I just don’t want to have a relationship with you. It was nice while it lasted, but I need someone who is willing to commit. I need fabric cleaner and I need a lint brush. I can’t breathe from all the cat hair on my arms. My legs are scratched up from that thing, and you haven’t even attempted to rub lotion on my wood pieces. All I can do is sit and take it from that ***** cat!
I have stuffing coming out of my seams. It’s embarrassing, really! The sun beams down on me most of the day because you have me in front of a south facing window. I’m fading – fading! I cost $399 and now I’m hardly worth enough to put in a yard sale.
Sofa and coffee table won’t even talk to me anymore. I’m a nice chair! I have a whole lot to offer, but it’s just tough being the only piece of furniture in the room that doesn’t get Febreezed. I need Citrus too!
I’m sorry if I’m coming off as angry. I needed to tell you my feelings and the only way I was sure to get out everything was to write you this letter.
I have to get out while I can, to find myself again. I’m going to stay with my cousins at the local upholstery shop. Window said that I can get a good deal on some fabric. I’m going to reinvent myself and hopefully I can join a stock room floor in some nice furniture place.
You’ll be better without me, too. Then we can both move on.
All the best,
Overstuffed Arm Chair

Prithz9
Private E-1

Postby Prithz9 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:44 am

Dear John,
I really, really don't want to do this. But you must understand, I really cannot have anything to do with you from now on. It disgusts me, the way you treat me like some piece of furniture!
You were just there when Suzie and Andrew were jumping all over me. You heard me creaking in agony and yet, you chose to ignore the merciless torture...why? After all these years i supported your bottoms when your eyes were glued to the tv? I did not complain when you made a dozen people sit on me or when you spilt all your milkshake over me. But this is too much.
By this time, i will have met my end under the carpenter's saw. i made him promise that he will make a bookshelf out of me. Sorry. Love you as i always have done.
Love,
Sofie the sofa

Vanessa
Private E-1

Postby Vanessa » Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:28 pm

My dear sweet Vanessa

I leave this note for you because I have grown tired of being everyone's dumping post. Yes, you have had me for eight or so years. But, come on, did you really appreciate me? No. You dumped sodas, food, crackers and coins into my crevices. You don't appreciate the comfort I have given you. You use me. You let your beloved "kitty" use me to sharpen her claws ten times per day.That really hurts, too and if I had a mouth you would get cussed out by me! You let your ugly, matted, flea-infested dog slobber all over. But what's worst of all, you let those damn two-legged brats of yours jump all over me! And you did not a motherfriggin' thing; you just sat there and called them "cute!" If I had feet, I would have sent the little poop unicorns and rainbows flying across the room! Not to mention, your husband's loud, raucus cussing and snoring in his sleep! Couldn't a couch get some peace!? Well, good riddance to you, Miss Vanessa. I'm leaving now; I'm off to a better place. The Goodwill truck has arrived!

Without my regards,
The Sofa.

Vanessa
Private E-1

Postby Vanessa » Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:37 pm

this is only my second or third post. I'm kinda new at this, so just bear with me.

Ashless
Private E-1

Postby Ashless » Tue May 04, 2010 5:57 pm

Dear John,
I know your names not really John, but it goes well with this letter. I must leave you because it seems you have grown up. You have had two boyfriends and have graduated from eighth grade, and are almost done with freshman year. I must leave you because it seems you have gotten too big for me, i wanted to let you know that I love you and I will never forget you.

Ashless
Private E-1

Dear John,
I know your names not really John, but it goes well with this letter. I must leave you because it seems you have grown up. You have had two boyfriends and have graduated from eighth grade, and are almost done with freshman year. I must leave you because it seems you have gotten too big for me, i wanted to let you know that I love you and I will never forget you.

Ashless
Private E-1

Dear John,

JeanMarie
Private E-1

Postby JeanMarie » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:50 am

My Dear Lady,
I simply must tell you that I am tired of living with the fact that you never liked me, not from the first day that your husband brought me home. I know that you were irritated because he paid a whole $20.00 for me because he wanted to help that man who was having a yard sale. And, I know that you did not like my colors and my Southwest design with the ruins carved on two sides. And, you did not like my large size and you did not know where to put me.
But, really did you have to stick me in a corner and use my shade for a coat rack! What an insult! You did not even care when I crashed against the wall from the weight. You probably wished that I would break so you would have an excuse to pass me along to Goodwill. I was too proud to let that happen, so I just snuggled inside to let the coat cushion the blow.
Well, you really did it today when you stuck that drippy umbrella inside my shade and got me all wet. When your husband got home from work he discovered the water stains. He did not notice that the water marks spelled out my message to you to inform you that I decided to catch myself on fire and just leave it (you) all behind. Maybe you will notice my letter when you come home tonight. He left my shade on the floor after he removed the rest of me, the best part, and put me in the Deseret Industries donation box.
Maybe that will teach him not to buy lamps at yard sales, or teach you to appreciate it if he does! Shame on you!

Bye, bye.
Your once beautiful lamp

PreviousNext

Return to Writing Prompts and Challenges