Dear John Letter - 10/6

The editors of Writer's Digest provide a weekly Writing Prompt to get your writing going.
Brian
Lieutenant

Dear John Letter - 10/6

Postby Brian » Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:56 am

Brian
Lieutenant

Dear John Letter - 10/6

Postby Brian » Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:56 am

You return home from work to find a Dear John letter on your kitchen table. Oddly enough, it's from one of your favorite pieces of furniture. What does the letter say?

You can post your response (500 words or fewer) here.

sueseebee
Private E-1

Re: Dear John Letter - 10/6

Postby sueseebee » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:49 am

Sung to the opening bars of Debussy’s Clair de Lune

My dear friend, I am going, I am leaving you to be alone
To wonder what it is that you did wrong, to never know.
So…you never practiced and you never played
You…never dusted and I wasn’t tuned.
I sat alone.
Thereareothersouttherewhodesiremysweetsong
ThereareothersouttheretowhomIwanttobelong
So…I’ve gone and always know why
I…slipped through the door without a good-by.

Your piano

sueseebee
Private E-1

Postby sueseebee » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:49 am

Sung to the opening bars of Debussy’s Clair de Lune

My dear friend, I am going, I am leaving you to be alone
To wonder what it is that you did wrong, to never know.
So…you never practiced and you never played
You…never dusted and I wasn’t tuned.
I sat alone.
Thereareothersouttherewhodesiremysweetsong
ThereareothersouttheretowhomIwanttobelong
So…I’ve gone and always know why
I…slipped through the door without a good-by.

Your piano

Akastan
Private E-1

RE: Dear John Letter - 10/6

Postby Akastan » Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:06 pm

By the time you read this, I'll be on my way to Mexico, or if I have enough money, Central America. Don't ask why, Stan. You know darn well why I left. Twenty-eight years together, twenty-eight years. I deluded myself in thinking it would last forever, then she came along. Yeah, I know about her.

I hear you met at one of your college writing courses, writing for Publication or Introduction to Fiction. It doesn't really matter now. You saw how all the young studs in the class were all with the younger sleeker, sexier ones and you couldn't stand it, could you?

Now I find out who you used to sneak out to meet one of these young hot things at the library. That's how it started, isn't it? Next, you were cruising the malls and strip centers looking for something new and more exciting. We, I have my dignity. I may be older and worn down by the years but I still have some good qualities. Not that you care anymore. You are always with her.

So, this is goodbye, au revoir, arrivederci and so long, baby. I hope you are happy with your new love and her bigger capacity for what you are putting out. May she catch some fatal virus and die.

Your once loyal
Royal electric typewriter

PS. When your cheap HP freezes up and won't put out, don't come crying to me.

s.c. denton
Corporal

Postby s.c. denton » Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:46 pm

Dear John,

You've grown incredibly cold. I know not why so distant.
When she came into your life it's as if you were gone in an instant.
Her dictum was so sudden, your disappearance overwhelming.

I sit here all by my lonesome, staring at a blank screen. Suffering so greatly; what it is to know addiction: Your laughter, your fears, and even the occasional
spilled beers.

Though I understood little of your situational comedies, nor your compulsion for late night horrors, I reveled in your childlike excitement and your ear piercing cheers. Oh what I wouldn't give to watch one more game together.

But we are indefinitely divided, and I'm an Armchair forever undone. Worry not I will not seek another. My comforting days are over, my greatest hopes dashed. In my last moments I'll think of you, as the shredders tear me asunder, and my cloth is unspun.

Do you believe in reincarnation? I don't know if recycling is quite the same, but if it were, given the choice there's nothing I'd prefer more, than to come back as a pillow where your head would soon rest.

So if one day, while shopping, a thing seems to call out to you, please don't hesitate, it may very well be me you're taking home.

Signed,
Wished I'd been born a Frau

Neets
Master Sergeant

Postby Neets » Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:38 pm

Upon entering my home yesterday I was in a big hurry to get to the bathroom, so when I tossed the keys on the table by the door, hearing the keys hit the floor instead, my stomach jumped into my throat.

Realizing my home had been robbed or was still in the process being robbed my bladder put in a stop order in and I froze in my tracks listening for any sound.

Scanning my living room, I could see the rest of the room was as I left it. There were no sounds of a ransack in progress. Looking back to the space the table should have occupied, I saw the note on the floor, held in place by the tiny dragon vase that used to sit on the table.

I snatched the note from the floor, still not convinced I was alone in my home.

The note read:
“Hello, great grand-daughter dear, sad to say this is more of a goodbye.

I know you thought I was part of your family. Your great Grandfather created me in his workshop, your Grandmother brought me with her on the voyage to this new land. You probably didn’t know your Father had to battle with his brother just to make sure that I became yours.

The reality of the situation is that I never belonged to you, not any of your other relatives, not even to your great Grandfather. I am a creature of the mighty oak from which I was carved, and as such am not honor bound to your family.

I might have considered staying longer, but you allowed dust to build up on me, you let your children run Hot Wheel races on me, you hit me with the vacuum several times and every time you came home you threw your keys at me.

I’m off to grander things my dear, the Antique Roadshow is in town.

I read the news from the pile of papers you leave scattered atop me… and frankly I think I can find someone there who can appreciate my rare beauty and value better than you have.

As a matter of fact, I’m sure of it.

Cry no tears for me, I know you well enough to know you would sell me in a heartbeat if the price was right, let’s just say I beat you to the punch.”

After reading the note I made a quick stop at the bathroom, then headed out to my garage. After snatching up the keys from the floor, I headed off to the Roadshow with my trusty ax, which also happens to be a much beloved family heirloom.

imdatdsgb
Private E-1

Postby imdatdsgb » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:36 pm

Dear Ian,
While it's a been a fun ride, I have decided to leave. I can only imagine how you will feel upon receiving this. Please know my decision is based solely on my own needs. You are a great person, but I am not a one-man lamp. Since I first met you on that cool spring morning, the smell of fresh honeysuckle surrounding us, I knew we were destined to share something great. We have been through a lot together. I have provided you light through grad school, I have been through the many one-night stands and I stood strong. I have had my share of problems too. I know the constant need for bulbs has stressed you at times. You never left me in the dark. You've refreshed my life with the new shade and I am so very thankful for what you have done for me. Although, I have to say I was never a big fan of Rosa. Her hands were much too heavy.

I cry as I write this and I'm not sure what the future holds for me. I need more. I always have. I'm not sure one person can provide what I need. I'm thinking of finding a family. What do you think? I hope you are not terribly angry at me. I know there will be many more after me and I know that you will eventually find one that will be completely satisfying. I think I've known this would happen for a while, especially since your tastes have changed and I see other things being replaced by more modern pieces. Damn your trip to Norway! I hope the book you are working on with me is completed soon and I wish you well in all of your endeavors. I will forever miss you and will be reminded of you with every scent of honeysuckle caught beneath my shade. You will forever be the light of my life...

Always

Sirskittle
Private E-1

Postby Sirskittle » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:20 am

You return home from work to find a Dear John letter on your kitchen table. Oddly enough, it's from one of your favorite pieces of furniture. What does the letter say?

Dear Roberta,

It is time for me to leave.

I am sorry.

I could use the line, “It’s not you, it’s me,” as a reason for leaving and sadly, that may be true. I am a good stove. I have four lovely burners—two large and two small. I have a nice oven, which, if cleaned, would look like it did in its younger days. But you never clean it. Well, as a matter of fact, you rarely use it. Except when the family comes over and it is necessary to cook two D’iorgno pizza’s rather than one. Did you know I can bake bread and pies and stews and all sorts of lovely dishes? I bet you didn’t know that.

My burners don’t get much use either. They are concealed under a glass top so it is hard, I admit, to know when they are on and heating. You only use the little burners for cooking a hamburger patty or to boil an egg. There is not much eating going on this kitchen.

I know, I know, you live alone. But don’t you deserve to have a nice meal? Maybe you could pull out that old cookbook and try at least one of those recipes. They aren’t that hard. Treat yourself to a stew or a cake or bowl of hot soup.

If you do that I would stick around to see how it goes. Why not try one tonight?

Regards,

Your stove

scowan4738
Private E-1

Postby scowan4738 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:27 am

October 7, 2009

Dear Sharon (John);

This is your computer desk and I am afraid that I will have to terminate our relationship. I know that you did not pay very much for me and therefore, may not value all that I do for you. However, I am tired of you using me for EVERYTHING. I am not a table, nor am I a shelving unit although there are a few shelves on one side of me big enough to house books. You have your dictionary and other resource books there along with a collection of CD’s. My other shelves house several useful things. My problem is all of the other stuff you pile on top of me. Not to mention the trash that you leave there. You really are a slob you know that. To think that the lady you bought me from praised you for your organization skills. You just had not had me long enough to build up any clutter.
Wonder what she would say if she could see me now.
Therefore, if I am not cleaned up and put back into the condition I was in when you took the picture you sent to my former owner by the end of the month, I will stop functioning as a serviceable item of furniture in your home. If I had the ability I would move out at that time. Unfortunately, I can not do that by myself. I can however, just fail to hold up all the stuff you pile on me.
I do hope you will take the warning seriously and get your act together. I really do enjoy being here and helping you further your writing skills. It is just to uncomfortable to be taken for granted.
Sincerely,
Your Desk

Next

Return to Writing Prompts and Challenges