[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Creative Rites : Conversation question • Page 5 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Creative Rites

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Re: Creative Rites

Postby mammamaia » Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:24 pm

this is a verrrrrry old thread, kitty!... in case you didn't notice, you can see when the last post was made, in the date that appears aove the 'subject'...

i have no creative 'rites' whatsoever... whenever i have something worth writing down, i just do so, no matter where i am, or when it is, or what i have to use to get the words from my head, into a more permanent form...

i even jot down bits that come to me in bed, whether awake and waiting for sleep, or in dreams, so i always keep paper and pen by my bedside...

jcs2722
Private E-1

Postby jcs2722 » Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:44 pm

I listen to Within Temptation for about 15 minutes then either shut myself up in a room with lots of light, a computer, and no sound whatsoever (I prefer when the house is completely empty and it's just me,myself, and I). Starbucks is the worst place in the world for me to write...I always get distracted by people and the conversations of the barista's and I hate the way the coffee tastes.

MonikaM
Private E-2

Postby MonikaM » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:15 pm

Skills are inbuilt and you should always make use of them and express them in your writings!

MonikaM
Private E-2

Postby MonikaM » Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:51 pm

Hi,

I love to go for long walks, read a book, listen to music, and generally observe people, go out and have coffee. these are some of the rites that i follow. when i have to write, i prefer going in a corner and writing.

MonikaM

severineyung
Private E-1

Postby severineyung » Sat May 15, 2010 4:00 pm

Err...I guess I'm one of the "lucky ones" that rarely ever encounters writer's block.

The surefire way of getting myself into the mood is to write. Just write. After a paragraph, or at most a page, I get very into my story and plunge into its emotional depths. After these sessions, I always feel a great sense of achievement and spiritual satisfaction.

Azariascout
Private E-1

Postby Azariascout » Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:09 am

It always happens for me that when I am unable to write because I am busy is when I truly feel the "need" to write. Then when I able..I can't seem to find that thread again. Usually while driving inspiration will hit, so I have taken to using a digital recorder so I can capture those thoughts.
If I am at home and no distractions other than my own procrastination, I sit and stare at my corkboard tiles which are covered with pictures of I use for inspiration--characters, places, etc. If that doesn't work, I'll thumb through my Thesaurus and find a word, then usually that will spark something--I'll be able to think on how that word relates to my character.

elessarswife
Private E-2

RE: Creative Rites

Postby elessarswife » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:15 pm

I usually have to leave the house and go to some coffee place or the computer lab at my job to get most of anything done. It's not that I have so many different gizmos and distractions to keep me from writing. No, that big distraction would be myself. Once I've arrived at my work destination, I need 4 things: an outlet, music, laptop...and Solitare. I kid you not. If five minutes or more have lapsed before I've typed an actual sentence and all isn't going so swell, I go to the Games section on my laptop and shamelessly bring up the regular version of Solitare and play a few (dozen) rounds before something registers. When that happens, I ditch the game and get to work.

allz28
Captain

Postby allz28 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:08 am

Uh oh, Solitaire can be a bad vice. I prefer to us Freecell when I'm procrastinating.

allz28
Captain

Postby allz28 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:08 am

Uh oh, Solitaire can be a bad vice. I prefer to us Freecell when I'm procrastinating.

elessarswife
Private E-2

Postby elessarswife » Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:37 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Conversation question