[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Blogged and Burned : Conversation question • Page 8 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Blogged and Burned

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
gearhead
Private E-1

RE: Blogged and Burned

Postby gearhead » Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:04 am

NorEaster
Sergeant First Class

Postby NorEaster » Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:14 pm

My sister-in-law just started a blog on my behalf, and I've been sending her pieces for the last week or so as writing practice. I haven't been too worried about what anyone thinks about what I've written, and I've only gotten one guy flaming me (sort of).

As you can tell from this http://rickswords.wordpress.com my forte is socio/political comment, when I'm going non-fiction.  Yeah, it might be ego for some folks, but for me, it's pushing myself out there on stage and getting comfortable with the butterflies that any performance brings with it.

I have discovered a great exercise for anyone who wants to sharpen up their Op-Ed skills.  It's a site called http://helium.com and if you join it, they offer article titles to you and publish what you write.  The catagories are very diverse, and the there are many titles to choose from.  I find that if I go for one that is a little out of my range, and really light into it, it helps me when I get back to subjects that I'm more familiar with.  Just a heads-up on a good playtime site out there for non-fiction writers.

noblew
Sergeant

Re: Blogged and Burned

Postby noblew » Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:45 pm

Bob, that is a really well-crafted, clever, witty parody of that soliloquy. Well done you!

jmascia
Private First Class

Postby jmascia » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:58 am

I don't get why people get so uppity about blogs in the first place. They're really no big deal at all. All it is are the writer's thoughts at the moment on something. I understand that it does happen, and that people do indeed take every little thing you say out of proportion and do everything they can to use it against you. The real question is "why?" That is the part that I don't get. Are people not allowed to have opinions anymore? I think that as long as you aren't talking about going out on Friday night, shooting up some heroine, taking a few X pills and raping someone's cow, no one should really care about what's on your blog.

ThoughtfulPen
Private E-1

Postby ThoughtfulPen » Fri May 15, 2009 6:48 pm

Just keep stuff on a professional level and nothing can get turned around on you!

boakyewaa
Private E-1

Postby boakyewaa » Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:08 pm

I've been struggling with this as well, what are the boundaries for blog content? So far, I think i've been pretty topical and open with my blogs. I don't do 'too much' personal stuff, its all stuff i dont mind strangers knowing.

Julia & Julie was successful because Julie threw in personal info and humor in her cooking blog. Can a blog really be successful without some personal anecdotes? Not sure about that. But everyone has to draw their own boundaries, you can guage this from the comments on your blog. Do what works for you and the subjects you're interested in.

jrtomlin
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby jrtomlin » Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:06 pm

Jamesaritchie
Commander in Chief

Postby Jamesaritchie » Sat Jun 20, 2009 5:42 pm

I blog when I can, and write whatever I feel like writing. The last thing I worry about is how others will react. Blogs should be like books; if you don;t like a book by one writer, go find a book by a different writer.

Really, why respond at all?

Now, writing the wrong thing on a blog can get your fired from any ordinary job, or stop you from being hired at another. But puiblishing is a bit different, particularly for writers. The only thing that can harm a writer in any meaningful way is writing books that no one wants to read. If anyting, the more people you offend, the better you'll sell.

I suspect this is true of most businesses. The person generating the money is not the person who gets fired. Generate money, and no one in charge much cares what you do, as long as it's legal.

I can't recall a single case of a writer being harmed by saying something most people didn't like. You do not ruin your career with your mouth, you ruin it by writing things people don't buy. Publishers don't really care how nasty writers are, as long as the writer can generate money through writing books.

To a somehwat lesser extent, this is true of agents. An agent who consistently sends editors books that make the publisher money can act pretty well as they wish, say pretty much what they wish, and blog about whatever they wish.

But as a writer, as long as I'm talking about myself, my life, my views, my dreams, my goals, etc., I'm darned if I'm going to censor myself because I might offend someone. A writer afraid to write anything is sad.

It's dumb to use a blog to gossip, to try to get back at someone, etc., but it's even dumber to read such a blog if it offends you.

Jamesaritchie
Commander in Chief

Postby Jamesaritchie » Sat Jun 20, 2009 5:42 pm

I blog when I can, and write whatever I feel like writing. The last thing I worry about is how others will react. Blogs should be like books; if you don;t like a book by one writer, go find a book by a different writer.

Really, why respond at all?

Now, writing the wrong thing on a blog can get your fired from any ordinary job, or stop you from being hired at another. But puiblishing is a bit different, particularly for writers. The only thing that can harm a writer in any meaningful way is writing books that no one wants to read. If anyting, the more people you offend, the better you'll sell.

I suspect this is true of most businesses. The person generating the money is not the person who gets fired. Generate money, and no one in charge much cares what you do, as long as it's legal.

I can't recall a single case of a writer being harmed by saying something most people didn't like. You do not ruin your career with your mouth, you ruin it by writing things people don't buy. Publishers don't really care how nasty writers are, as long as the writer can generate money through writing books.

To a somehwat lesser extent, this is true of agents. An agent who consistently sends editors books that make the publisher money can act pretty well as they wish, say pretty much what they wish, and blog about whatever they wish.

But as a writer, as long as I'm talking about myself, my life, my views, my dreams, my goals, etc., I'm darned if I'm going to censor myself because I might offend someone. A writer afraid to write anything is sad.

It's dumb to use a blog to gossip, to try to get back at someone, etc., but it's even dumber to read such a blog if it offends you.

MonikaM
Private E-2

Postby MonikaM » Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:37 pm

A blog is basically a journal that is available on the web. The activity of updating a blog is “blogging” and someone who keeps a blog is a “blogger.”

Previous

Return to Conversation question