You're My Inspiration

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
rencalago37
Private E-1

Re: You're My Inspiration

Postby rencalago37 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:09 am

During my college years, There are always great challenge. However, I was able to achieve my goals.. and now struggling for something new.

janice0291
Private E-1

Postby janice0291 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:52 pm

I Have to say that my grandfather inspired me to write. Ever since I was born, I moved to different countries, traveling and getting used to the different cultures around me. Along the way, I became isolated from the family I was leaving behind. I missed my country but I especially missed my grandfather. When I turned ten I started to write my grandfather letters, telling him how my days went and the things I did. He would always write back, telling me about my writing and how good it had gotten. I didn't believe him and I didn't really think it myself. It was because of him that I started writing. He inspired me to keep writing even though I wasn't very confident in it. After a while, I realized that I loved to write. Everytime something tragic happened in my life--which was all the time---I would start a novel, twisting these pure emotions of mine through my characters. It felt good to write these emotions down. I felt released and free because someone would read it someday and maybe have experienced the same things I did. I've been writing novels since then; getting my grandfather to read them even though he's still very far away.

--J.M.Rose.

---

janice0291
Private E-1

Postby janice0291 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:52 pm

I Have to say that my grandfather inspired me to write. Ever since I was born, I moved to different countries, traveling and getting used to the different cultures around me. Along the way, I became isolated from the family I was leaving behind. I missed my country but I especially missed my grandfather. When I turned ten I started to write my grandfather letters, telling him how my days went and the things I did. He would always write back, telling me about my writing and how good it had gotten. I didn't believe him and I didn't really think it myself. It was because of him that I started writing. He inspired me to keep writing even though I wasn't very confident in it. After a while, I realized that I loved to write. Everytime something tragic happened in my life--which was all the time---I would start a novel, twisting these pure emotions of mine through my characters. It felt good to write these emotions down. I felt released and free because someone would read it someday and maybe have experienced the same things I did. I've been writing novels since then; getting my grandfather to read them even though he's still very far away.

--J.M.Rose.

---

Shimmering StarLight
Private E-1

RE: You're My Inspiration

Postby Shimmering StarLight » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:51 pm

I can hardly remember when I started writing, really. I believe I just jumped naturally into it when I'd reached the age where reading became insufficient. I believe I should've been about six or seven years of age then.

Juliebug
Private E-1

Postby Juliebug » Wed May 05, 2010 12:11 pm

I have no idea why I write. I'm not very good, my grammer is horrible, but for some unforsaken reason I'm obsessed to write and don't know why. It is very frustrating for me..

akitcougar
Private E-2

Postby akitcougar » Mon May 10, 2010 2:04 pm

To Brian Jacques, for introducing me to anthropomorphic beings and inspiring me to write a ten page story with horrid grammar that I still love to this day.

To my eight grade English teacher, for wanting me to continue with my novella-like being until I finished it.

To my dogs, for being themselves.

To my best friend, Natalie, who introduced me to the concept of furries. Amongst other things.

To... to my brain, for giving me a bad memory for memories and a brilliant memory for ideas.

rangercookies
Private E-1

RE: You're My Inspiration

Postby rangercookies » Wed May 19, 2010 8:59 am

J.R.R. Tolkien
After my father read me The Lord of the Rings, there was nothing else but fantasy stories for me. As a kid, I pushed out a dozen Lord of the Rings rip-offs before allowing myself to be creative the genre instead of following directly in Tolkien's all-encompassing footsteps. But still, when I think of the best story every created, it's the one that takes place in Middle Earth.

71writer
Private E-2

Postby 71writer » Fri May 21, 2010 3:11 am

This is going to sound silly, but when I tried to think of what or who influenced me to write it came to me out of nowhere. When I was in middle school one of my favorite books was "Harriet The Spy". She wrote in her journals all the time! I can't count how many times I read that book & wanted to live that life. I read it so much it just about fell apart. So there it is. Harriet The Spy was my influence.

hwhittle
Private E-1

Postby hwhittle » Tue May 25, 2010 1:57 am

My fourth grade teacher, Mrs. Maudelle Dean, provided the first spark. I was not a reader in school. In fact, I hated to read. I was the kid in class who struggled through the paragraphs embarrassed because everyone was listening to me stumble over the words. Mrs. Dean made us keep a story journal. We wrote fictional stories every day. Though I loathed reading, I found I loved to write. I remember telling her that I was going to be a writer when I grew up. I eventually grew to love reading as well but not until after finishing high school. Although I am still unpublished, I still write, and I still love it.

hwhittle
Private E-1

Postby hwhittle » Tue May 25, 2010 1:57 am

My fourth grade teacher, Mrs. Maudelle Dean, provided the first spark. I was not a reader in school. In fact, I hated to read. I was the kid in class who struggled through the paragraphs embarrassed because everyone was listening to me stumble over the words. Mrs. Dean made us keep a story journal. We wrote fictional stories every day. Though I loathed reading, I found I loved to write. I remember telling her that I was going to be a writer when I grew up. I eventually grew to love reading as well but not until after finishing high school. Although I am still unpublished, I still write, and I still love it.

PreviousNext

Return to Conversation question