Haunted House - 5/12

The editors of Writer's Digest provide a weekly Writing Prompt to get your writing going.
Brian
Lieutenant

Haunted House - 5/12

Postby Brian » Tue May 12, 2009 8:06 am

Brian
Lieutenant

Haunted House - 5/12

You've recently purchased a new house. Upon your first full night there, you begin to hear noises but think nothing of it—until you see something that convinces you the house is haunted.

Please limit your response to 500 words or fewer.

Brian
Lieutenant

Haunted House - 5/12

You've recently purchased a new house. Upon your first full night there, you begin to hear noises but think nothing of it—until you see something that convinces you the house is haunted.

Please limit your response to 500 words or fewer.

Eme
Private E-1

Re: Haunted House - 5/12

Postby Eme » Tue May 12, 2009 12:16 pm

No question here...simply put, i'd go a typical (African) woman; put both arms over my head and howl my misfortune and misery. Right after that, I'd look for the next person to offload the darn house on and get the heck out o' there, and fast!!!!!

Eme
Private E-1

Postby Eme » Tue May 12, 2009 12:16 pm

No question here...simply put, i'd go a typical (African) woman; put both arms over my head and howl my misfortune and misery. Right after that, I'd look for the next person to offload the darn house on and get the heck out o' there, and fast!!!!!

AnnieRoonie
Private E-1

RE: Haunted House - 5/12

Postby AnnieRoonie » Tue May 12, 2009 12:52 pm

Bracketing my rumbling belly with two extra-firm polyester fiberfill pillows, I examined the stained ceiling from the mattress in my new bedroom. The iron skillet I’d unpacked and fried up the last of my bologna in must have absorbed some sort of tincture during the move. Or maybe it was the two-week old deli meat that was doing me in. Either way, my condition was dire. Not only was I apparently on the verge of an explosive visit to the untested bathroom, I was also trying to ignore some disturbing auditory hallucinations. That’ll teach me to leave the cold cuts unrefrigerated.

I closed my eyes in a vain attempt to fall asleep. The cramps searing through my abdomen almost distracted me from the sounds coming from the spare bedroom next to the one I’d chosen for my own. It was like someone was scraping wallpaper in there. With their talons. I kicked one of the pillows off the bed and curled up like a colicky infant. Tried to muffle the noise by inserting my head into the horseshoe I created with the second pillow. Of course this was an exercise in futility, since the noise, I was now certain, was originating somewhere within the headache that was developing between my ears.

Rolaids. Tums. Pepto-Bismol. All my bromides were packed thoughtlessly in an anonymous carton in the spare bedroom. I willed the scraping noises to cease, with no success, and rolled out of bed groaning like the dance floor when the Fatty McFatterton sisters squeeze into their tap shoes. Clutching my gut with one arm and massaging my forehead with the other, I shuffled toward the hallway. At this point, my head hurt worse than my gut, so I abandoned my forehead and reached for the crystal doorknob. That is when the silence reached out and grabbed me by the throat.

It was a dark hand; a set of bloodless fingers emerging from the overbearing stillness, pulling me back into the night-dark bedroom by the scruff of my t-shirt. Imagine a silence so thick, so viscous that it sucks the voice right out of your lungs. That was the nature of this presence. It took my pain and fed from it; I could feel it strengthening as numbness deadened my limbs. My roiling guts were forgotten as I choked on unvoiced screams. I hit the mattress like a dead weight. Oblivion washed away the rest.

Consciousness returned slowly, as red as my translucent eyelids. I lay for a long time tangled in the sheets. Forcing myself upright, I sat on the edge of the bed. My fingers trembled as they raked through my hair. My foot, bare, knocked over a half-empty bottle of Pepto-Bismol on the floor beside the nightstand. It glowed as pink as my toenails in the afternoon sun.

AnnieRoonie
Private E-1

Postby AnnieRoonie » Tue May 12, 2009 12:52 pm

Bracketing my rumbling belly with two extra-firm polyester fiberfill pillows, I examined the stained ceiling from the mattress in my new bedroom. The iron skillet I’d unpacked and fried up the last of my bologna in must have absorbed some sort of tincture during the move. Or maybe it was the two-week old deli meat that was doing me in. Either way, my condition was dire. Not only was I apparently on the verge of an explosive visit to the untested bathroom, I was also trying to ignore some disturbing auditory hallucinations. That’ll teach me to leave the cold cuts unrefrigerated.

I closed my eyes in a vain attempt to fall asleep. The cramps searing through my abdomen almost distracted me from the sounds coming from the spare bedroom next to the one I’d chosen for my own. It was like someone was scraping wallpaper in there. With their talons. I kicked one of the pillows off the bed and curled up like a colicky infant. Tried to muffle the noise by inserting my head into the horseshoe I created with the second pillow. Of course this was an exercise in futility, since the noise, I was now certain, was originating somewhere within the headache that was developing between my ears.

Rolaids. Tums. Pepto-Bismol. All my bromides were packed thoughtlessly in an anonymous carton in the spare bedroom. I willed the scraping noises to cease, with no success, and rolled out of bed groaning like the dance floor when the Fatty McFatterton sisters squeeze into their tap shoes. Clutching my gut with one arm and massaging my forehead with the other, I shuffled toward the hallway. At this point, my head hurt worse than my gut, so I abandoned my forehead and reached for the crystal doorknob. That is when the silence reached out and grabbed me by the throat.

It was a dark hand; a set of bloodless fingers emerging from the overbearing stillness, pulling me back into the night-dark bedroom by the scruff of my t-shirt. Imagine a silence so thick, so viscous that it sucks the voice right out of your lungs. That was the nature of this presence. It took my pain and fed from it; I could feel it strengthening as numbness deadened my limbs. My roiling guts were forgotten as I choked on unvoiced screams. I hit the mattress like a dead weight. Oblivion washed away the rest.

Consciousness returned slowly, as red as my translucent eyelids. I lay for a long time tangled in the sheets. Forcing myself upright, I sat on the edge of the bed. My fingers trembled as they raked through my hair. My foot, bare, knocked over a half-empty bottle of Pepto-Bismol on the floor beside the nightstand. It glowed as pink as my toenails in the afternoon sun.

patticake
Private E-1

Postby patticake » Tue May 12, 2009 7:08 pm

Buying a house of her own was Joy's dream but since opening the front door with her new key everything had gone wrong. First thing she discovered no lights. She flicked the switch several times; nothing. The electric company had promised to have it connected by Monday and it was Thursday afternoon. The worse thing was that she had decided to wait to hook up the phone line since she had her cell. She didn't count on the electric not being on and the cell needed a charge.

The airline had a unexpected layover and her plane landed late. The furniture was somewhere between Missouri and Arizona on a moving truck. No bed, no lights, no food what a way to start a new life in her new home.

The afternoon sun was rapidily setting and with it her remaining light. "Oh great, I'm glad I have a roof over my head and I can sleep on the carpet in the bedroom. I'll wait till morning to get something to eat," she mused.

She walked through the house with a pride of new ownership trying to remember the layout in the dim light.
The largest bedroom was at the back of the house and she walked through the door and stopped short. In the corner of the room stood a lady with long blond hair and the ivory colored floor length dress was reminiscent of the early 1800's. As she watched Joy began trembling and she blinked her eyes and the apparition disappeared.

"I am either extremely neuortic or I have bought a haunted house."

patticake
Private E-1

Postby patticake » Tue May 12, 2009 7:08 pm

Buying a house of her own was Joy's dream but since opening the front door with her new key everything had gone wrong. First thing she discovered no lights. She flicked the switch several times; nothing. The electric company had promised to have it connected by Monday and it was Thursday afternoon. The worse thing was that she had decided to wait to hook up the phone line since she had her cell. She didn't count on the electric not being on and the cell needed a charge.

The airline had a unexpected layover and her plane landed late. The furniture was somewhere between Missouri and Arizona on a moving truck. No bed, no lights, no food what a way to start a new life in her new home.

The afternoon sun was rapidily setting and with it her remaining light. "Oh great, I'm glad I have a roof over my head and I can sleep on the carpet in the bedroom. I'll wait till morning to get something to eat," she mused.

She walked through the house with a pride of new ownership trying to remember the layout in the dim light.
The largest bedroom was at the back of the house and she walked through the door and stopped short. In the corner of the room stood a lady with long blond hair and the ivory colored floor length dress was reminiscent of the early 1800's. As she watched Joy began trembling and she blinked her eyes and the apparition disappeared.

"I am either extremely neuortic or I have bought a haunted house."

ThoughtfulPen
Private E-1

Postby ThoughtfulPen » Tue May 12, 2009 7:17 pm

The cheery little two-story house on Burming Dr was Cleo's dream. She had worked hard over the past few months in gathering the last of her down payment and she was grateful that in that time no one had jumped on the chance to purchase the house. She packed up the last boxes from her apartment and had handed over the keys to the landlord earlier that evening with a pleased smile playing at the corners of her mouth. Now she sat amongst the piles of books that fought for prime shelf space on the one bookshelf she owned. She was weeding out the mass of literature in piles to keep and to donate when the light overhead began to flicker. After a few irritating moments of this she rose from her spot on the floor to investigated. She flipped the light switch to off and allowed the bulb to cool down. As she reached up to twist the light tightly into it's socket, a dim light flashed from the adjoining room. Cleo cursed and jumped down from the chair she was standing on. Her bare feet meet the chill of the tile in the kitchen.
“I need you,” came a whisper at her ear, a breath that tickled the nape of her neck.
Cleo flinched and jerked away from the hushed words. When she moved a stack of pans toppled to the floor with a dull clack that rattled her nerves and sent her heart racing.
She looked wildly about the room, hoping that what she had heard had been only in her head.
“Don’t forget me, Jane,” came the voice, this time louder and distinctly male. Her eyes flew over to the entry of the pantry where there stood a man. Brown hair curled around the collar of his white lawn shirt, breeches and leather boots completed the 1800’s ensemble of his appearance. She note his odd appearance before looking into his eyes. Green, apple green, and Cleo found herself frozen in place as she simply stared at the stranger standing before her.
He held out his hand to her, almost hesitantly. That sparked Cleo to action. Her hand grasped the handle of the one pot left sitting on the table. She lifted it, moving forward and swung as hard as she could at the intruder before he could touch her.
Her weapon sliced right through the form of the man, passing through him without harm. She stumbled forward from the force of her attack but found herself, instead, in the arms of the man. “How did you do that?” she breathed.
“I’m afraid you’ll forget, but you mustn’t forget, dear Jane.”
She allowed her trembling body to collapse against his strong chest. She felt her head start to ache and her vision began to blur as a gripping blackness took hold of her. She heard his words one last time, a saddened plea, as the cloud overtook her and sent her spiraling down into oblivion.

~Lindsey
Visit me at http://thewritewords-lindsey.blogspot.com/

Next

Return to Writing Prompts and Challenges