[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Surviving Criticism : Conversation question • Page 8 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Surviving Criticism

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
Jamesaritchie
Commander in Chief

Re: Surviving Criticism

Postby Jamesaritchie » Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:52 am

jrtomlin
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby jrtomlin » Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:47 am

trivguy
Private E-1

Postby trivguy » Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:35 pm

Anyone who takes the time to email you whether it's good, bad, or indifferent should be appreciated by the writer. Afterall, it shows they're reading you.

RhysHairNo!
Private E-1

Postby RhysHairNo! » Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:36 pm

hexedbird
Sergeant

Postby hexedbird » Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:52 pm

I think we can edit ourselves to a point. With books we've made a long term relationship and we are apt to develope a blindness to our love's flaws. Assuming we've made it the best we can it will still get a cold eye from a publisher's assigned editor. A good editor will make a good book better, even though it will sting a bit.

It's tough to trust a stranger with your baby, but that's the world.

Have fun!

Jamesaritchie
Commander in Chief

Postby Jamesaritchie » Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:42 am

jrtomlin
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby jrtomlin » Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:45 pm

Ha! A couple of months ago I got an email from an editor informing me that I needed to START my novel two chapters SOONER so I don't know about that, James. I must admit she also said it was a first for her. LOL

I obediently wrote her two more chapters. *eye roll*

In point of fact, I know many widely published authors who believe they are the worst possible judges of their own work and that editing should be left to editors. At any rate, I assure you that when you sell your work, your editor won't buy the "only a writer can edit their own work" argument.

RhysHairNo!
Private E-1

Postby RhysHairNo! » Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:24 pm

Jamesaritchie
Commander in Chief

Postby Jamesaritchie » Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:19 pm

SG Cardin
Private First Class

RE: Surviving Criticism

Postby SG Cardin » Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:09 pm

It's tough to look criticism in it's face.  One of my toughest was my husband's scoff at my novel "Destination: Berlin."  He just wasn't too impressed with it. I think I sat down and cried for half an hour and then I vowed never to let him look at my stuff again.  The hardest part about that was that he wasn't constructive.

I want constructive criticism.  When you tell me something isn't working, don't make it personal. That's when taking criticism is hard to take.

Smiles,

Steph

PreviousNext

Return to Conversation question