[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Surviving Criticism : Conversation question • Page 9 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Surviving Criticism

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
4thtroika
Sergeant

RE: Surviving Criticism

Postby 4thtroika » Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:59 am

dgford
Colonel

Re: Surviving Criticism

Postby dgford » Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:43 pm

Steph,
I want to encourage you to keep on keeping on in whatever writing you do. This is not a fairytale or nursery rhyme, but I think you figured that out already. There is not ONE troll under the bridge, but many. Most are harmless without any teeth. Not to say there aren't a few that bite. You just learn to not bite back and they will go away. Best to you in your writing world.
Where eagles Soar,
Don

SG Cardin
Private First Class

Postby SG Cardin » Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:52 am

Thanks, guys, I agree. There's not one troll under the bridge but many.Writing is a passion of mine and I'm sticking with it! Heck, two days ago I opened my Writer's Digest and found out I placed 8th in the Mainstream/Literary competition (in the 77th Annual WD Competition) so I know with a little perserverance you can shine through.

Smiles,
Steph

ScubaDog
Private E-2

Postby ScubaDog » Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:05 pm

For me far worse than criticism is indifference. Being noticed in a negative way is being notice. Painful, perhaps. Nothing numbs me more than a deafening silence. How do you cope with that? (serious question)

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby mammamaia » Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:10 pm

Nothing numbs me more than a deafening silence. How do you cope with that? (serious question)

...i've never had that problem, since my work usually stirs up some controversy over the content, if nothing else... but if i did, i'd just add a reply to my own post asking for SOME comment...

...on the possible good side, it could just be that your work is so perfect nobody could think of anything needing correction and readers were so envious of your skill, they couldn't bear to let you know how far above theirs your work is...

ScubaDog
Private E-2

Postby ScubaDog » Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:32 am

Mammamaia,

Shame on me, I was not clear in my previous post as to what I meant. (Being a new writer I’ll probably do that again.) It was not a post I was referring to but in the flesh silence, a noncommittal indifference.

Not being able to peek inside a persons head you may be right. It is possible I stunned this person, one way or the other.

Also you are correct about posting. I did post one piece and did not note that I wanted comments. Being a dullard at times it took a bit of time for me to realize why. Actually this impressed me at how courteous folks are here.

JTLake
Sergeant Major

Postby JTLake » Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:18 am

My daughter said "I don't find your story interesting".

That STUNG!

TheProdigy2010
Private E-2

Postby TheProdigy2010 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:17 pm

Believe it or not, no one hardly ever criticizes my work because they like it so much. However, I remember one time when my school's newspaper came out and without knowing, I used a word that was short for something offensive in one of my articles. The Special Ed teacher saw this and accused me of judging people by their capabilities, even though my article didn't even talk about Special Ed.
That's the closest I can get to criticism, by being accused for something I didn't even do.

OmenSpirits.com
Lieutenant

Postby OmenSpirits.com » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:12 pm

When I did write.

"Your main character has no redeeming virtue.

Which I wrote him intentionally like that. The editor wanted a reason for the character being the way he was. I told, because...

There are genuinely bad people in this world, not every person has a 'reason' to be bad. I told him that.

The guy liked my writing, always had. But that's about the worst.

OmenSpirits.com
Lieutenant

Postby OmenSpirits.com » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:12 pm

When I did write.

"Your main character has no redeeming virtue.

Which I wrote him intentionally like that. The editor wanted a reason for the character being the way he was. I told, because...

There are genuinely bad people in this world, not every person has a 'reason' to be bad. I told him that.

The guy liked my writing, always had. But that's about the worst.

PreviousNext

Return to Conversation question