What Do You Expect from a Writing Conferece?

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
Dear Dean
Corporal

Re: What Do You Expect from a Writing Conferece?

Postby Dear Dean » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:50 am

I expect to hear some editors and published authors in various genres. Conferences are beneficial whenever they hit as many topics as possible because the attendees run the gamut from raw newbies to published authors and everything in between. Also some of us try more than one market as periodicals may help pay our way to writing our first novel. The last conference I attended included a cd that held all the handouts so one could read the notes from workshops they missed because of conflicts in scheduling. It is good to be reminded of publishing problems, query letters, and other basics, plus honing our craft in fiction or non-fiction. Also one makes contacts with editors and publishers through workshops.

Thanks for the question. I have attended two conferences and one on-line conference and will doubtless attend many more. They have been very helpful to me. I recommend them to everyone.

Dear Dean
Corporal

Postby Dear Dean » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:50 am

I expect to hear some editors and published authors in various genres. Conferences are beneficial whenever they hit as many topics as possible because the attendees run the gamut from raw newbies to published authors and everything in between. Also some of us try more than one market as periodicals may help pay our way to writing our first novel. The last conference I attended included a cd that held all the handouts so one could read the notes from workshops they missed because of conflicts in scheduling. It is good to be reminded of publishing problems, query letters, and other basics, plus honing our craft in fiction or non-fiction. Also one makes contacts with editors and publishers through workshops.

Thanks for the question. I have attended two conferences and one on-line conference and will doubtless attend many more. They have been very helpful to me. I recommend them to everyone.

Holly624
Private E-2

Postby Holly624 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:03 pm

I've never attended a writer's conference, but at one point, I wanted to. I started pulling up the fees associated with some conferences and they were astronomical! I'd rather attend a class or save for my MFA.

I did see one conference that broadcasts online for free.

Holly624
Private E-2

Postby Holly624 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:03 pm

I've never attended a writer's conference, but at one point, I wanted to. I started pulling up the fees associated with some conferences and they were astronomical! I'd rather attend a class or save for my MFA.

I did see one conference that broadcasts online for free.

Jim Lamb
Master Sergeant

Postby Jim Lamb » Sat May 23, 2009 10:21 am

I expect to network with other authors who are at various stages of their craft. I expect to make long-term friends. I expect to speak with agents and pitch my ideas, in hopes that maybe one of them will ask to see my work. I expect to learn from the workshops and to be awed by the keynote speakers. I expect to be immersed in the enviroment of books, of words, of grammar and prose. I expect to be motivated when I finally leave the conference. I have received all this and far more from those conferences I have attended. The cost can be high, but what business doesn't invest in its future? John and Shannon Tullius' Maui Conference changed my life as a writer and every penny well spent.

Cheers,

Jim Lamb

Jim Lamb
Master Sergeant

Postby Jim Lamb » Sat May 23, 2009 10:21 am

I expect to network with other authors who are at various stages of their craft. I expect to make long-term friends. I expect to speak with agents and pitch my ideas, in hopes that maybe one of them will ask to see my work. I expect to learn from the workshops and to be awed by the keynote speakers. I expect to be immersed in the enviroment of books, of words, of grammar and prose. I expect to be motivated when I finally leave the conference. I have received all this and far more from those conferences I have attended. The cost can be high, but what business doesn't invest in its future? John and Shannon Tullius' Maui Conference changed my life as a writer and every penny well spent.

Cheers,

Jim Lamb

jmdougherty
Private E-1

Postby jmdougherty » Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:56 pm

The only reason I'd really want to go to a Writer's Conference is to be able to pitch my novels to different agents and hopefully get one of them to say "send me a query and some sample pages." That would go a long way in trying to get an agent (something I've been trying to do for some time). But here's the real issue.... THE PRICE! The conference here in my hometown costs $400. Are you kidding me??? I'm a struggling writer with a day-job that barely pays for the power bill and clothing for my kids. How on Earth am I supposed to afford that? It's just too outrageous a price. I would think MAYBE $50 would be a good price for a writer's conference. $40 seems more reasonable, but $400??? Wow....

lrwpublication
Private E-2

Postby lrwpublication » Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:16 pm

There are several things I'd expect from a Writer's Conference and would like to see in this type of arena:
1. Meeting published authors at difference stages of their career (Just starting to having an agent and quote-unqote famous).
2. Meeting other writers, especially, from my state.
3. Learning more about writing than simply the publishing side, what about the editting side, or trying to write when things happen in our everyday life.
4. Participating in writing prompts that highlights "sensory writing", a particular editing technique or something like that. It's where we can practice our craft around a particular skill just taught and share responses.
5. A good price....Somewhere between $70.00 to $200.00. I could save up for that if I know 8 months in advance.

Chandara5
Private E-2

Postby Chandara5 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:40 pm

The conference must be engaging. The difference between self-help books and workshops is the engagement piece. It is important to be able to have the time to meet and greet the presenters, to get a feel for them. Anything can look good on paper but their ability to interact with the individual is what makes it worth while.

gumboWriters
Private E-2

Postby gumboWriters » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:14 am

At the end of the conference something fruitful should come out.

PreviousNext

Return to Conversation question