Non-U.S. Hot Spots

We're looking for the hottest literary hot spots across the U.S. and need your help.
Brian
Lieutenant

Non-U.S. Hot Spots

Postby Brian » Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:42 am

Brian
Lieutenant

Non-U.S. Hot Spots

Postby Brian » Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:42 am

We didn't want to leave our international brethren out of the mix. For all you non-U.S. residents, leave your Literary Hot Spot right here:

Name of City/Town (and country):
Name of Hot Spot:
What makes this spot so great for writers?

While photos aren't required, we'd love them. If you don't know how to post a photo on our forum, visit "How do I post a picture?" in our forum's FAQ section:
http://www.writersdigest.com/mbbs/forum ... 87&posts=1

Bailey
Private E-1

RE: Non-U.S. Hot Spots

Postby Bailey » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:40 am

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

The Wild Oat

One morning while sipping a cup of Earl Grey, I got into a heated discussion with a very educated Christian homeless man about prayer in schools. Now, if that doesn't get your writing brain cells in gear, I'm not sure what will! Another time I sat at the window watching the world stride by me as ideas and characters came to life in my head. My preference is to write by hand as I feel like I'm missing out on an integral part of the writing process if I skip right to the laptop.

Of course, The Wild Oat is only one of a handful of fantastic places to write in Ottawa and the surrounding area. Kaffe 1870 in Wakefield, Quebec used to be a great place to write until I got to know the regulars all too well. Now it's the Cheers of the area and when I go, I leave my writing in the car!

Scribbles
Private E-1

Re: Non-U.S. Hot Spots

Postby Scribbles » Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:53 am

Wow...this doesn't look like the busiest of threads, but I'll jump in anyway.

Name of City/Town (and country): Canterbury, England

Name of Hot Spot: the whole area

What makes this spot so great for writers? Within 20 miles of my home, I can stroll through Canterbury Cathedral where Thomas Becket was murdered in 1170, visit Roman graves from the first century, walk down roads that are older than 2000 years, see houses that have been continuously inhabited for hundreds of years, visit castles that still have furnishings from hundreds of years ago, retrace the steps of centuries of kings and queens, and ..... well, you get the picture. I'm originally from Texas but have been here now for seven years, and every day I find one new thing that takes my breath away. The sight of Canterbury Cathedral as I drive to the grocery store still makes my eyes water. It's magnificent.

Ultimate Cheapskate
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Ultimate Cheapskate » Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:55 am

Not that I'm an international Forumista, but I've spent a good deal of time writing overseas since I started writing for a living a four years ago.

No place on earth gets my juices (writing and otherwise) flowing like the islands of Greece, particularly some of the less touristed ones (e.g. Folegandros, southern coast of Crete, Naxos, Sifinos, etc.). The people are terrific, the food (and drink!) is the best, and the prices can't be beat. Last trip (2 months) we averaged less than $100 total per day for the two of us (lodging, all meals, local transportation, incidentals, sightseeing, etc.) I got a lot writing done, although sometimes the Ouzo made it seem a little more brilliant than it seemed once I sobered up. And, you talk about economizing, there are lots of gorgeous beaches to write on where you don't even have the added expense of a swimsuit. ;-)

Ultimate Cheapskate
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Ultimate Cheapskate » Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:57 pm

Okay, okay, okay. For all who PM'd me re: the nude beaches .... rest assured that I'm always accompanied by my laptop on such occasions. ("Is that your browser, or are you just happy to see me?")

Jim Lamb
Master Sergeant

Postby Jim Lamb » Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:51 am

Name of City/Town (and country): Toronto
Name of Hot Spot: Toronto Writers' Centre
What makes this spot so great for writers? Comfortable, distraction-free, workspace; Lounge, boardroom and kitchen; Wireless Internet; Laser printer; Networking with local and international writers (many of who are well known and willing to help new writers.) And the workshops held there are worth much more than their cost.

Check it out if your on this side of the lake.

Jim

vampchick21
Private E-1

Postby vampchick21 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:37 pm

Jim, thanks so much for posting that! I'm in Toronto and have been sort of going it alone (outside of Nano, really the only time I got together with local writers). I'd no idea about the Toronto Writers' Centre and will definitely check it out!

vampchick21
Private E-1

Postby vampchick21 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:37 pm

Jim, thanks so much for posting that! I'm in Toronto and have been sort of going it alone (outside of Nano, really the only time I got together with local writers). I'd no idea about the Toronto Writers' Centre and will definitely check it out!

gumboWriters
Private E-2

Postby gumboWriters » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:20 am

Ireland... the whole of it

Next

Return to Literary Hot Spots