Oregon

We're looking for the hottest literary hot spots across the U.S. and need your help.
just another writer
Private E-1

RE: Oregon

Postby just another writer » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:43 am

The place is a small sandwich shop in the Clackamas Town Center,south east Portland. The place is called Panera Bread and offers places to plug-in a laptop while you eat fresh made sandwiches, drink wonderful specialty coffees and look for characters for your next best seller. I spend many an afternoon putting together chapters, articles, and writing projects for fund raisers in an atmosphere that my muse loves. :emoticon:

desk
Private First Class

Postby desk » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:38 am

I may be giving away a prime spot but here 'tis:

Rosie's Cafe -- just very slightly east of Mill City, Oregon, on North Santiam Hwy. (hwy 22)

Their coffee ain't bad, but what I love is --well, especially when it isn't raining too hard -- are the two picnic-type tables outside with umbrellas -- and that's THE one place where the WiFi works! Plus: surrounded by trees, and quiet.. oh, and right next to a running stream.

Nevermind the cat, though: she lives there and is very friendly.

Anyone here near there??

bsirrot
Private E-1

Postby bsirrot » Mon May 12, 2008 1:36 pm

In Hillsboro, just west of Portland, there is a coffeeshop called Longbottoms Coffeehouse. It has a free wireless, lots of tables and although it is busy, the place clears out in the middle of the morning and afternoon.

Longbottom Coffeehouse and Roasting Factory!
4893 NW 235th Ave, Hillsboro OR 97124

Another quiet coffeehouse the area is Panera. Again free wireless.

7202 Northeast Cornell Road
Hillsboro, OR 97124

If I were looking for places that inspired me to write though, I would go to Powells. I can write at home. And it is really quiet there.

jrtomlin
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby jrtomlin » Tue May 13, 2008 6:41 am

Much as I love Powell's, I've never been there when it was quiet. Great bookstore though.

Edit: As a matter of fact I was there yesterday in mid-afternoon (2pm or so) and it was busy as always but I picked up three books. :)

ScoutMocking
Private E-1

Postby ScoutMocking » Fri May 23, 2008 11:14 pm

VictoriaE...

I'm moving there next month, too. We both live in the bay area so we have that in common! We should keep in touch.

ScoutMocking
Private E-1

Postby ScoutMocking » Fri May 23, 2008 11:18 pm

There's a great place called Sacred Grounds. It's a coffee shop but it also serves sandwiches, soups, and other yummy things. There is lots of comfortable seating and outlets galore and free wi-fi access. They close at 8 PM so that's the only drawback. It is part of the motel property of the Quality Inn and Rodeway Inn on Sandy Boulevard in the Parkrose section of NE Portland.

Sacred Grounds
9727 NE Sandy Blvd.
Portland, OR 97220

KathyintheWallowas
Private E-1

Re: Oregon

Postby KathyintheWallowas » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:51 pm

How about -- Enterprise, Oregon! Fantastic writing location - everything from writer's retreats and fabulous classes in spectacular mountains (THANK YOU FISHTRAP www.fishtrap.org) to the big read events, story telling on the local radio - and free wi-fi spots around local towns if you want to write on your own. We're celebrating William Stafford's birthday with a party and "community writing challenge" in January. Gorgeous country.

Java Flo
Private E-1

Postby Java Flo » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:30 pm

In Portland there is a little sleepy neighborhood called Sellwood... seems to be a number of writers who either live or frequent this neighborhood. There is a little coffee roaster/cafe in Sellwood called Blue Kangaroo Coffee Roasters... plenty of seating, wifi, close to the food carts, and other writers tapping away and working...

JerryR
Private E-1

Postby JerryR » Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:56 am

Portland
Hot spots: Main library downtown

& Powells Book store on West Burnside. The place has a coffee shop & sometimes writer groups meet there.

Bridgetoo
Private E-1

Postby Bridgetoo » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:06 pm

I don't live in Oregon, I just want to make that clear. I live in Washington and believe it is a great and stimulating place to write. Despite that, in the height of the summer I visit my Grandma in Florence, a beach town famous for the dunes. Anyway, everytime I go down there it seems like I come back with a new idea in my brain and anxious to begin writing. I believe it is simply the change of going down there for about a week each summer, and seeing something different than what is near my hometown that gets my creative juices flowing. I think that is one of the best ways to conquer writer's block.

PreviousNext

Return to Literary Hot Spots