[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Amazon Shorts Pros and Cons : Conversation question • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Amazon Shorts Pros and Cons

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
Brian
Lieutenant

Postby Brian » Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:29 am

Brian
Lieutenant

Postby Brian » Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:29 am

In every issue in "Writer's Digest"'s InkWell section, we pose a thought-provoking question related to the writing life. In the February issue, novelist J.A. Konrath covers the ins and outs of the Amazon's short-story market:
http://writersdigest.com/articles/konra ... shorts.asp

Do you think Amazon Shorts is a good way to sell and promote your work? Why or why not?

To be part of our monthly Conversation, post your response here by hitting the "reply" button. A few responses may be selected to run in a future "WD" e-newsletter.

Jamesaritchie
Commander in Chief

RE: Amazon Shorts Pros and Cons

Postby Jamesaritchie » Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:06 am

It would be at teh bottom of my list.  Why bother with Amazon Shorts when tehre are real, paying markets out there?  Things may change down teh road, but right now Amazon Shorts resides in Amateur City.

JA Konrath
Private E-2

Postby JA Konrath » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:57 pm

Horror_Writer
Master Sergeant

Postby Horror_Writer » Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:24 pm

It looks like a great market. The only thing that pissed me off was that you have to have something published that's already on there to get in to that market. :(

pperkins
Private E-1

Postby pperkins » Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:23 pm

I've had my novella, "The Light at the End of the Tunnel" listed with Amazon Shorts for just over two years now and have found that, while the money may not be great, using this program as a marketing tool for my full length novels is!

I mean, let's face it, how many decent marketing options are out there that are even free, much less pay you?

I've added a link my novella’s Amazon Shorts page to the sig line of my emails with a short tag that reads, "New to my work? Get a copy of my eNovella The Light at the End of the Tunnel for just forty-nine cents at Amazon.com!"

That line is on the back of my business cards as well.

I have dozens of direct sales of my novels based solely on this link, and who knows how many through Amazon and the brick & mortars?

And, again, they're paying ME to do it!

If you're willing to look at it as a marketing tool, and put in a little sweat-equity, it seems like a pretty hard deal to beat.

Thanks!

-Perry

Perry P. Perkins
Author/Blogger
www.perryperkinsbooks.com

jrtomlin
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby jrtomlin » Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:03 pm

pixieled
Private E-2

Postby pixieled » Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:23 am

I'd probably use it just because it sounds like a good way to get more exposure to my short stories. But, since I don't have anything major published yet, or even ready, I'll have to wait.

On one hand, it's good that they don't just accept stories from anyone claiming to be a writer without backing it up. (Let's face it. Everyone wants to be one these days.) On the other hand, there are so many talented writers out there yet to get published that could use a little boost.

seniorwriter
Private E-1

Postby seniorwriter » Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:00 am

I have recenty had two Women's Fiction stories published as Amazon Shorts. I admit to being an "amateur" in fiction writing (I've published non-fiction), but so what? It's fun having my two stories out there, regardless of sales. I was happy to have them accepted. I've downloaded and read some very good stories by others, too. I may not be "discovered" there, but perhaps a few beginning writers will. It's a chance for all.

Marlys Marshall Styne, author of "Volunteer" and "Marie's Story" on Amazon Shorts.

sgolightly
Private E-1

Re: Amazon Shorts Pros and Cons

Postby sgolightly » Fri May 16, 2008 4:11 pm

I guess for some people it is worth it, but not for me. I've had two stories at Amazon Shorts for almost a year, and I've sold exactly zero copies. So, I probably won't submit there anymore.

Next

Return to Conversation question