[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Thoughts on Twitter : Promotional Tips • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Thoughts on Twitter

PianoAl
Sergeant First Class

Thoughts on Twitter

Postby PianoAl » Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:48 pm

I'm being a good soldier, and have used Twitter for some gentle (i.e., not spammy) marketing (@AlMacyAuthor). I've read lots about Twitter, and I kind of get it and kind of don't.

Most authors, who periodically come out with new books, usually in the same genre as their previous books, build a following with Twitter such that their fans may grab every new book that comes out.

For me, my books vary widely in their target audiences (unfortunately). My first book helps people who are learning the piano. My second book is a humorous Dave-Barry-type travelogue concerning cycling. My next book (out soon) will be something that helps other authors format a print-on-demand book, and the one after that will be a sci-fi thriller.

So, I'm wondering whether Twitter is, therefore, not worth the effort for me. Even if I created separate accounts for the different genres, I don't release enough books to make a difference.

Can someone set me straight?

Thanks,

Al
Feel free to correct my spelling, punctuation, or grammar.

robjvargas
Captain

Re: Thoughts on Twitter

Postby robjvargas » Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:35 pm

I'm not someone who believes that a social following is all that important. It helps to one degree or another. But not as much as some say. Not for fiction writers, I don't think.

But I think it's going to take more than books releases to build that following. If you want people anticipating your next release, you've got to give them just enough to stir up their appetite for your writing. Posts about writing, tweets about others and their writing, or about writing in general. Stuff like that.
Slowly putting together a "replacement" forum at http://writerswriting.proboards.com.

It's still under construction, but come take a look.

cynfranks
Sergeant

Postby cynfranks » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:42 am

Ask yourself, "What would Dickens do?"

shadowwalker
Captain

Postby shadowwalker » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:57 am

Personally, I think social media is overrated as far as authors are concerned. There are a lot more people who don't join, let alone read the things, than one realizes. I can't make head nor tail of Facebook, and still have no idea what twitter is for (other than a lot of folks telling the world what they had for breakfast). Google+ is so messed up (I can't use it because my real name violates their name policy :roll: ). I've yet to see any hard facts indicating that social media increases sales to the point of being worth the time and effort to keep them up. And quite frankly, there are a lot of authors who would be much better off just keeping their mouths shut...
"It seems rather like wanting to be ... a writer, rather than wanting to write. It should be a by-product, not a thing in itself. Otherwise, it's just an ego trip." - Roger Zelazny

It's really not that hard. Just tell me a story.

wantstolaugh
Private E-1

Postby wantstolaugh » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:29 am

hahahah... omg.. im sorry.. but the name violating is classic! LOL I cant stand twitter either. no one re-tweets, and the followers i wound up with are people i dont knwo at all. i tried to interact and my account got suspending saying that i violated by unwelcomed tweets. lol i thought that was the whole point. I get the interacting thing--- if someone likes you, they are more likely to offer you a guest blog spot... or even click on your signature. But some of teh crap on twitter is just stupid. i have had a hard time trying to find interesting ppl there :(

Google plus... I am going to take a whole day to try to figure that one out ... when i have time.

humor, historical fiction, erotica

Laycrew
Major

Postby Laycrew » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:03 pm

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:38 pm

If you write a limited-appeal book, all the tweeting and Facebook posting in the world isn't going to help you. In my case, I seriously doubt that the target ages of my books - sixteen or so and under - would be interested in my offerings, although I do know that I've sold a significant amount of copies via personal posting on Facebook.

Offering free copies of the first book in my high school series seems to have been my best marketing tool, as there have been literally thousands of downloads of it over the past two years, and I've been able to see downloads of the following novels in the series, although of course I can't track by person (but I can track by country on both Smashwords and Amazon).

I'd say spend more time on writing your next book, and go light when it comes to marketing via social media. As several here have pointed out, over-marketing is simply annoying. I've even dropped out of a few Facebook groups which the mods allowed to become shillgroups for individuals.
Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

Oldtimer
Colonel

Postby Oldtimer » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:38 am

Read samples of my Martian series (by Dorothy Piper) and two romances (by Joni Havel) on Smashwords.
Hard copies of all are on Amazon.

TerryRodgers
Site Admin

Postby TerryRodgers » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:09 am

Return to Promotional Tips