[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Book Giveaways -- what do you do? : Promotional Tips • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Book Giveaways -- what do you do?

EccentricKim
Lieutenant Colonel

Book Giveaways -- what do you do?

Postby EccentricKim » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:41 pm

I want to give away some free e-copies of my book soon. But I'm not sure where to begin or what to do, so I was wondering if I could get some examples from others. How many times per year do you do a free giveaway? I know Amazon and other sites have free promotions too, and I'm not sure how that's going to work out yet with my book.

So far I plan on doing a Goodreads giveaway, and don't know if people generally have some sort of contest and choose a random winner or what. So any tips would be appreciated!
Previously published writer starting over.

Linton Robinson
Corporal

Re: Book Giveaways -- what do you do?

Postby Linton Robinson » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:04 am

This isn't something I do. Mostly because I get sick of seeing everybody yelling about giving their book away. If people aren't going to buy it, they probably don't want it. You're better off doing freebie days on Kindle Select or Coupon period on SmashWords.

HOWEVER. Many do it and the way to work it is to hook up with the whole swarming network of bloggers out there. Find the blog/review that suits you (or group of related blogs, or Facebook group or "blog tour" and get hold of them, tell them you want to do a giveaway, and what would they suggest. Try to tie in to interview or review or whatever.
Sites that specialize in genres are also a good bet. If you don't know where these things are, jump on Google and find out. You need to know it anyway.

jbcameron
Private E-1

Postby jbcameron » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:00 am

My book distribution went from a meager handful of sales prior to a four-day free book giveaway to a jolt of over 450 new readers. Since this is the first book of an ongoing series, it was always my intention to get it in as many hands as possible prior to the release of the second book, in order to help bolster reviews (which are starting to trickle in slowly on both Amazon and Goodreads). I expect that subsequent books in the series will balance free giveaways far more economically.

If this is your first and only standalone book, you might want to proceed slowly with the giveaways. Try starting off with a day or two. Marketed properly, that might net you somewhere in the range of 100-200 downloads worldwide. If it's a part of a series, play around with the figures a bit, or schedule another giveaway in a following month. Some experimentation may be required. I went with four days in order to get the benefit of additional downloads from word-of-mouth marketing of the earlier downloaders.

Sites like Author Marketing Club (http://www.authormarketingclub.com/) provide listings of blogs allowing you to submit your giveaway announcement. Just be sure to give them plenty of advance notice. I also found that doing a Google search on "facebook free kindle" provided a good list of additional Facebook pages and groups that allowed users to post notices of their free book giveaways.

No matter what, don't get too discouraged should you discover that the extra reviews and free giveaways don't necessarily translate into increased sales afterwards. It's common to feel yourself settle back into the vacuum of your pre-giveaway state. The only thing that will help in that regard is time, patience, and continued writing and publishing.

Best of luck!
JB.

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:59 am

Kim, the only reason I give away a free copy of my book - the first one in the High School Series - is to sucker readers into downloading it and then continuing with the second, third, etc. books in the series.

Download stats are excellent - something like five or more day - and Amazon reviews are almost all four- or five-star. Sales of the rest of the series? Turgid, but then I know that there are thousands (literally) of Kindles and Nooks and Sony readers and computers out there with my book on them, waiting to be read, and it may take years before folks get around to reading it. I just need to be patient.
Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

PianoAl
Sergeant First Class

Postby PianoAl » Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:10 pm

I am following the advice in this article:

http://www.novelpublicity.com/2012/02/h ... oull-need/

and I'm having my first giveaway for two days on Wednesday and Thursday. I hope I will be able to evaluate whether it works or not.
Feel free to correct my spelling, punctuation, or grammar.

Return to Promotional Tips