Author Business Cards?

mikeyboy_esq
Private E-2

Author Business Cards?

Postby mikeyboy_esq » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:36 am

I noticed most of the guest speakers at my local author group meetings have business cards to hand out for anyone interested. Today, I decided to order my own (author) business cards b/c I have started getting more speaking engagements on topics related to my nonfiction books. I'm hoping to distribute them at my future speeches to help spread the word about my books. Other than my speeches, I'm not sure when else I will get a chance to use these cards.

Hmm... I wonder how many of my fellow members in this forum have author business cards and how often do you use/distribute them. Are they worth the money?
Mikeyboy_esq
proud author of:
1) Engaging College Students: A Fun and Edgy Guide for Professors
2) 14 Steps to Self-Publishing a Book
http://www.engagingcollegestudents.com

ostarella
Lieutenant

Re: Author Business Cards?

Postby ostarella » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:59 am

I don't have them but I haven't published anything yet, so that would be a bit premature :) But with SP and speaking engagements, I would assume they are a necessity. You don't have the resources via a trade publisher, so you have to be able to get the word out in as many ways as possible.

I've noticed that you talk about marketing methods quite a bit - I'm wondering if you've done any sort of survey among your purchasers (or those who have asked you to speaking engagements) yet. I know a lot of times when I order something online I'll get a quick email survey asking how I'd heard of their product/store/whatever; same with some websites I've visited. Granted it would be a self-reporting survey versus a "scientific" one, but that might give you some indication of what methods work better or very little. ??

sammy2
Private First Class

Postby sammy2 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:03 am

[quote="mikeyboy_esq"]I noticed most of the guest speakers at my local author group meetings have business cards to hand out for anyone interested. Today, I decided to order my own (author) business cards b/c I have started getting more speaking engagements on topics related to my nonfiction books. I'm hoping to distribute them at my future speeches to help spread the word about my books. Other than my speeches, I'm not sure when else I will get a chance to use these cards.

Hmm... I wonder how many of my fellow members in this forum have author business cards and how often do you use/distribute them. Are they worth the money?[/quote]

I have had cards for many years. Rarely use them, but they are handy when they are needed. And they are not expensive.

If you are giving seminars or other talks then you really should have them along with any other collateral describing your books or other merch. And of course sell books at the back of the room which is what most speakers do.

mikeyboy_esq
Private E-2

Postby mikeyboy_esq » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:20 pm

Thanks to you both for the feedback.

Ostarella,
You are correct. I have devoted most of my questions and comments on this forum and others regarding my marketing tactics. I've been trying different things to market my books this past year and hoping to write a book with my results after the year is done. To answer your question, I really like the idea of sending a survey to my readers to ask them how they heard about my books. Unfortunately, most of my books are sold on Amazon, BN and other online retailers and those retailers don't share the buyers' contact info. If I knew how to contact those buyers, I definitely would. I sell some books in person at my speeches, but I already know how those folks heard about my book (from my speech or the speech announcement). One thing I really like about Amazon AMS ads is that they keep track of the # of clicks my ads get and how many clicks turn into sales. Those Amazon ads have been a good investment for my books (altho one book gets better return than the other).
Mikeyboy_esq
proud author of:

ostarella
Lieutenant

Postby ostarella » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:49 pm

[quote="mikeyboy_esq"] Unfortunately, most of my books are sold on Amazon, BN and other online retailers and those retailers don't share the buyers' contact info. If I knew how to contact those buyers, I definitely would. [/quote]

Yeah, that's a problem. I don't know anything about how the retailers work with authors, but I wonder if they don't have some info available on that. But that might also be something for a blog or website - asking readers where they found you to begin with, or maybe even put an addendum to the book, where they click on "I found your book through A/B/C"). Anyway, food for thought :)

mikeyboy_esq
Private E-2

Postby mikeyboy_esq » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:01 am

Good suggestion! Thanks.
Mikeyboy_esq
proud author of:

MPhillip
Private E-1

Postby MPhillip » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:30 pm

Last edited by MPhillip on Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ostarella
Lieutenant

Postby ostarella » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:50 pm

[quote="MPhillip"]Business cards are often considered a form of advertising/marketing, so having and using them can be an effective tool. The 'trick' is to determine what is being advertised and then design the card. Figure out what you want people to look at, such as the website, or a specific book on Amazon, or just contact information - that's what to include. Cluttering that small card with too much information can be as off-putting as not enough.[/quote]

Definitely. I prefer simple cards that tell me what I need - a name, occupation, and how I get in touch. I may not use the info immediately, but that's what I need as a reminder of why I kept the card.

Return to Promotional Tips