How to promote your book

Moderator: TerryRodgers

pls

Re: How to promote your book

Postby pls » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:17 pm

I am seeing more and more posts from authors who indicate that Twitter is the place to be when it comes to book promotion, much more so than Facebook, Goodreads, or any other social network.

*Sigh* - another time hog. Maybe when I get past the massive projects I have going now - all involving publications, none involving creative writing - I'll get going on Twitter, too.

However, I still refuse to blog. And I pulled out of a semi-local group which requires many posts on a Word Press site with a complicated calendar and posting schedule for topics which I'm not involved in.

b.sherman

Postby b.sherman » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:23 am

pls wrote:I am seeing more and more posts from authors who indicate that Twitter is the place to be when it comes to book promotion, much more so than Facebook, Goodreads, or any other social network.

*Sigh* - another time hog. Maybe when I get past the massive projects I have going now - all involving publications, none involving creative writing - I'll get going on Twitter, too.

However, I still refuse to blog. And I pulled out of a semi-local group which requires many posts on a Word Press site with a complicated calendar and posting schedule for topics which I'm not involved in.

I am starting to think the same way about Twitter. I use Facebook because I already had a very active personal side with a large professional network from my day job, so I think that helped with my initial book launch. I added in a Facebook fanpage and have tried to utilize it in the same manner I do my personal page--I post things I find funny, interesting, or thought provoking. It's kinda a joke amongst my friends that my Fanpage is the same old "me", just filtered.
So I did what many people recommended and linked a Twitter page to my FB, so that if I post to Twitter it updates my FB pages as well, saving me the work of constantly keeping them both active. Well, I enjoy FB and spend 99% of my time there. It is easier to talk to fans and I just find it more fun. When I go on Twitter, however, my news feed is filled with promotional posts. It's like a non-stop advertising feed that I lose interest trying to wade through. So I stop looking at it. I find it cumbersome, and I do not think it has affected my book sales in the least. Some of my FB fans have carried over to Twitter, but many of my Twitter followers are authors trying to spread the word about their own books. I love seeing what everyone else is writing, and I learn a ton about the industry, so I do like it in that respect. It think it is a good thing to limit the amount of time you spend promoting. After all, the absolute best advice for promotion is to get another book out. That is a simple, straightforward task that everyone can do to build their reader fanbase.
Of all the things I have learned so far, I wish I knew in the beginning about how important your NEXT book is. I thought it was my dream come true when the first fan emailed me to rave about my book...then she wanted #2 in the series RIGHT NOW. Haha, lesson learned, eh?
Good luck with your promoting, but just use your time wisely. The best use of your time will ALWAYS be writing the next book.

**edited because I can't speel. Thank god for spell check. ;)

pls

Postby pls » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:02 am

b.sherman wrote:…When I go on Twitter, however, my news feed is filled with promotional posts. It's like a non-stop advertising feed …
Good luck with your promoting, but just use your time wisely. The best use of your time will ALWAYS be writing the next book. …

*Sigh*. Twitterspam. Why am I not surprised? And I agree with your wise statement, which I emphasized in case someone might have missed it.

EccentricKim

Postby EccentricKim » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:41 pm

I use Twitter, but it's more of an afterthought than anything. But I do have more followers on there than any other format, so I should probably try to tweet more often. Or whatever.

I put out my first ad this week! It's on page 3 of Windy City Times here: http://www.windycitymediagroup.com/imag ... urrent.pdf

Now to see if this makes any change. It might run another week, and there is also an email blaze which they run, and they asked me for a link to use, so I sent them the link to my publishers site which lists all my works to date. :D
Previously published writer starting over.

jbcameron

Postby jbcameron » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:20 am

I'm late jumping onto the Twitter bandwagon myself, but I do notice one benefit that it has that seems to be largely overlooked. On the topic of updating content to keep your readers coming back for more, I'm beginning to realize that Retweets to writing sites that have previously published my online short stories are quite an attractive feature. It requires very little effort to add in the link back to the story on the publisher's website, can be incorporated into your Facebook page, and keeps your content fresh while driving new readers to your existing body of work. Not bad for a few seconds of work.

kimjoshi

Postby kimjoshi » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:44 am

The most quick and easy, but less effective - to make a website( you have done) for the book, to bring traffic to it, and distribute the book there. At the same conduct in the same blog, create a personal brand, etc. - The reader does not buy the book and buy your particular book. This is the fastest way. process even faster - to talk to those who know how it is energetically promoting the book. There are dozens of better ways.

Metilda

Postby Metilda » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:11 pm

Someone mentioned it (but I lost the quote): Sampling is a very good way to go about it. I found my favorite author, Charlotte Stein, when I was flat broke but desperate to still read. I searched for free books through Amazon/Kindle, and on different websites online like fanfiction.com and so on. Sampling, either for free or low cost, is a great idea. So is advertising all over, and then directing them to your own publisher's site/your website where you have more direct control over cost. (IE: some publishers give you more of the profits if they buy at the home based store online. On your website you can give special discounts.)

I read statistical info, today, that stated most people learn about an author by going to the author's website. I, therefor, intend on making my website very presentable, and I'll do the other social-media, but not instead of keeping after my site. I think this might be age-driven for my readership (Romance/Erotica) - middle-aged women with children don't spend 24/7 doing social media. I know I don't - I spend my time on a few select forums and improving my craft. My rare dabbles into the rest of the online world come from my reading niche, and I follow the links on my cellphone to the author's website, etc. (They're usually at the end of the story).

So - putting out a book doesn't mean it's a full length novel - a lot of what I've found are one-shots and short stories. These are actually like food pellets at a feeder bar, for me, as I love to sit down on the weekend and read an entire story beginning to end. Novels take me a long time to mull through, they're exhausting.

krodman

Postby krodman » Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:29 pm

I've been following this thread and I am enjoying all the great advice.

Arabrab

Postby Arabrab » Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:17 pm

Hi, I just came across this site and decided to join, looking forward to reading and learning from others here. I would like to offer what I
did when I self published my first book , a very unique easy to read poetry book with color photos I took here in the mountains.
The hardest part was figuring out which self publisher was the best choice, and I decided on Lightning Source. By far the best price and
quality book that I was proud of. Here's what I did.
I prefer face to face interaction with people, rather than online promotion. My interest was primarily to "test the waters" by seeing people actually
pick it up, look at it, and see if they wanted it. So I ordered fifty books, called every book store in the area to ask if they would sell them on
consignment.(Figure your costs and profit before you decide it's worth it, they usually take 40%. ) My cost with Lightening Source was so low at
4.50 per book, I priced it at 14.50 and did well with it. I ended up selling quite a few (eighty so far, not a lot according to others here I"m sure,
but the feeling I got from bringing it into stores myself was terrific. IT gave me tremendous confidence in my writing, and the feedback I received
from the shops owners was encouraging. I am now almost done with my first draft of my memoir and feel somewhat confident in my writing.
I plan to do the same with that. Also, depending on the focus of your book, Christmas is a great time to sell it at gift shops and book stores who
might take consignments. I also discovered that if you are proud of your work, and excited about it, presenting it to others in a confident way
helps others believe in the quality of it also.
I still have a bunch of books I keep in my truck, just in case I pass by a bookstore, I just get out with a couple and ask to sell them. Believe it
or not, if you are confident, they will take a couple.
Hope this helps,
Arabrab

LucyH

Postby LucyH » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:16 pm

Marycv wrote:I read online writing a book is the easy part, and marketing is the hard part. I also heard I should start marketing myself 6 months before I have the book published. I finished my book, and its almost finished being edited. Now I am wondering how to promote my book. I have a blog and website,which I post weekly, which I don't get much views. I use social networking sites like Bloggers, Facebook, LinkedIn,StumbleUpon, Twitter, and Pinterest. Is there anything that is affective that helps promote the person, and people know about the book. I find its time consuming going through all these social networks. It is also confusing how to go about getting my name out there, and marketing. Does anyone have advise what best worked for them or to get people to notice the person's book. Any advise would be appreciated.

A good content is essential, you have a blog and website, where you post weekly; but sometimes requisite promotion is missing. This is why you don't get many views. FABiONS has created this project wherein you can share their work and also get it promoted. You can post your blogs, product specials, offers and special events on FABiONS . This way you can promote your book. Details is given on : Link removed by MOD.
Hope to see you there soon!
Regards.
Fabions - Guest Blogging Platform
http://www.fabions.com/business/promote-your-business-free
Invites Content Writers and Bloggers to Share their Work.

PreviousNext

Return to Promotional Tips