[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Hello from the aviary : Introductions • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Hello from the aviary

Stop in and get to know your fellow writers.
Nazirte

Hello from the aviary

Postby Nazirte » Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:33 pm

Nazirte

Hello from the aviary

Postby Nazirte » Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:33 pm

Hello to everyone!! I'll just go right ahead and introduce myself. I'll start with the writing. I've been writing since I could hold a pen, and haven't really stopped. I had a short story and a poem published while I was in high school, but after graduation, the inner critic set in and hasn't let go. Everything I write seems to be garbage and unoriginal. I'm hoping to clobber that critic to death as soon as may be. At least until I reach the editing process.

I am a college student, and am working toward a Rhetorical and Applied Writing degree, which I hope to use (along with some real world experience) to get a job at a publishing house and eventually work my way into editing. Right now, I work something between part time and full time at a local bank.

My apartment is home to three birds (George, Dale, and Frodo), a cat (Izzy), and a husband (who will remain annonymous). The birds just love to chirp, and I often joke that when people call it sounds like I'm in an aviary instead of a living room.

I'm hoping that this forum will kick me back into gear and into writing regularly.

Sheri

RE: Hello from the aviary

Postby Sheri » Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:43 pm

Hello my friend!

I fear that it is so true to all of us that we are each our own worst critic!

You sound as if you are as hard on yourself as I've been known to be.

I am new to this forum as well and I have snooped around enough to know that... WOW!

It isn't trash! There is true inspiration here. I hope it helps you, as it does me, to see that good

things are happening for real people. It's a sweet thing! I wish you the best of luck in kicking

yourself back into gear and may you have unmeasurable success in life and in writing! :)

jasipper
Brigadier General

Postby jasipper » Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:25 am

Nazirte

Postby Nazirte » Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:22 pm

Thank you both for the welcome and the encouragement. I'm hoping that associating with other writers and also sharing more of my work will help me to overcome my inner critic. If I share work that's in progress, hopefully I'll eventually feel less of a failure about my completed work. So thank you for the response!

abstract
Private E-2

Postby abstract » Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:11 pm

*hands over a spiked club* this might help a little. and once you're finished with your critic, we can compare notes on bludgeoning so I can have a shot of intimidating my muse/critic...don't tell him I said that, please! He'll feed me to your pet birds!

by the way, over in the Conversation question forum, there is a topic on squelching the inner critic that might be just as helpful as a spiked club.

goobiesonvenus
Private First Class

Postby goobiesonvenus » Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:35 pm

Hello, and welcome to our forum. I have a lot of trouble with the inner critic myself, but every once in a while he goes away and lets me have some peace and quiet. Good luck with his dismissal. ;)

Nazirte

Postby Nazirte » Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:41 am

Yes, a spiked club...I hope that'll be enough for this guy. He's a tough one! =0)

I'll check that thread out. Thank you for the response!

entropy_happens

Postby entropy_happens » Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:41 pm

Welcome! Yes, the good ol' inner critic...gotta love him (punches palm with fist while saying the word "love"). Anyway, I'm a college student too; glad to know another one. Where are you going? What year are you? I'm a freshman in civil engineering, but I'm thinking about switching to computer engineering, going to school in southern California.
Good luck to you!
Lynne

Nazirte

Postby Nazirte » Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:54 am

I've actually been out of college for about two years, and I'll be going back this fall. I was originally going to be an English teacher, but I realized that I wouldn't be teaching English at all. Then I dropped out and got married (I'm the youngest of my friends to be married) and worked at a bank. After two years of that, I realized that my future is not in banking, so I decided to go back to college for Rhetorical and Applied Writing with a minor in Mass Comm. I have two years of college left.

I wish I was going to school in CA!!! I'm in the upper midwest, and it's awfuly cold and snowy right now. I'm mostly hating winter at this point and daydreaming about sitting on the beach in a nice sunny place--like southern California! It's nice to meet another student!

Next

Return to Introductions