[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
From the Far North : Introductions • Page 2 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

From the Far North

Stop in and get to know your fellow writers.
bongobro
Private E-2

RE: From the Far North

Postby bongobro » Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:22 pm

Hey, Laruuk--thanks for sendin' the cold air down to the midwest!

(Missouri weather can be chaotic, too. Less than 36 hours ago it was 71 degrees with thunderstorms, hail and a tornado warning. Tonight' s expected low is 5 above.)

Welcome aboard! Lookin' forward to tales from the far north, so to speak!

Charlie

Keep the beat goin'...

abqwriter
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby abqwriter » Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:37 pm

My husband took our two older kids to Boulder, Colorado this weekend, where they will both be competing in the national youth rock climbing bouldering competition.  They called this morning and said that with the wind chill, it's 14 below. 

I spent enough midwest winters in Ohio to not miss the snow anymore!

Nazirte
Private E-1

Postby Nazirte » Sat Feb 18, 2006 4:52 am

What brought you to Alaska in the first place? That sounds like a very interesting place to live!
Today, the high temp is around 0, or maybe even below zero. I'm not sure. Last year, my wedding was on the coldest day of the year here, and it was 30 below. So I can't really imagine 60 below...wow that's cold!!!
I look forward to your stories!

gracie
Private E-1

Postby gracie » Sat Feb 18, 2006 5:33 am

Laruuk
Private E-2

Postby Laruuk » Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:18 am

Look at the plethora of replies.

Funny enough, we didn't get a lot of snow this year. I'm an avid snowboarder and haven't gone once this season. It was either too cold, or the hill was nothing but a big sheet of ice. Literally.

I'm in the military, and that is what brought me to Alaska, twice. I've lived here a total of five years. The military does three years tours up here and I'm almost done with my second one. I left the first time in '99, lived in Texas for a while, then went to Germany for a year, and came back to Alaska in '04.

It's unseasonably warm up here for this time of year, so I might have truly sent cold weather your way.

Unless it's that global warming thing . . .

abstract
Private E-2

Postby abstract » Sat Feb 18, 2006 4:03 pm

I think I've seen real snow maybe twice in my life :o . We only ever get ice in the region of Texas that I'm stuck in. Ice, sleet, and grass fires, because some people don't realize that flicking cigarette buds onto dried-out winter grass is a bad idea. I'm surrounded by geniuses here. ;)

abqwriter
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby abqwriter » Sat Feb 18, 2006 4:12 pm

abstract
Private E-2

Postby abstract » Sat Feb 18, 2006 4:19 pm

Nazirte
Private E-1

Postby Nazirte » Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:20 pm

It's been a very mild winter here, too. I really wanted to try snowboarding this year, but there just wasn't enough snow! Also, it's very expensive to go around here, since there's only one really big hill, so it's pretty much a monopoly. Maybe I'll get to go after the tax refunds come in...

Jumbie
Lieutenant

Postby Jumbie » Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:57 am

Welcome to the board. My son lived in Fairbanks while he attended UAF. He loves it up there and wants to move his family there from S. CA. Probably not as cold in Fairbanks as it is in North Pole.

Previous

Return to Introductions