Hello, let me introduce myself...

Stop in and get to know your fellow writers.
PurpleHaze
Private E-1

Postby PurpleHaze » Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:28 pm

PurpleHaze
Private E-1

Postby PurpleHaze » Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:28 pm

Hello everybody. I'm new to this wesite and forum. I've just ordered my subscription to Writer's Digest and look forward to learning from it. Let me break the ice by giving you all a little background. A little over a year ago I completed the first draft of my novel. It's a tribute to the classic Hollywood western. I tried to capture the style of glamour and romanticisn, rather than gritty realism. My only deviation being the use of more modern themes that would have been taboo during the heyday of the Hollywood western. My job prevented me from working on the novel for the past year, but now I have changed jobs and have started working on it again. The first draft was around 55,000 words and seemed a little anemic to me, as my writing tends to be streamlined and to the point (unlike this introduction). The friends and relatives I allowed to read it were enthusiastic, but probably because they weren't objective, but they all agreed on one thing - They wanted more details! So I am in the process of "beefing it up." I'm tempted to post excerpts on a critique forum such as this one, in order to get some objective opinions, but I'm a little wary of putting it out there, considered all the blood, sweat, and tears that went into it. What thoughts do you all have on that? Are you ever concerned about people stealing your ideas or even stealing your work when you post it on a forum? I'm sorry if I sound paranoid, but this is new to me.

jmar2
Major General

RE: Hello, let me introduce myself...

Postby jmar2 » Sat Feb 18, 2006 8:36 am

Hello pilgrim!
Here, put that old nag into the stall and give her some oats. If you toss ol' Mose a dollar, he'll take right good care of her.

Sorry it took so long to read your sign, I've been a tad busy over in the Mojave, gettin' back something some fellers took from me. Seems they misunderstood the word 'No'.

Now I hears you been a bit worried 'bout swappin' stories down to the saloon. Somethin' about Miz Kitty's sparkin' that Masterson feller and he writes for the dime novels? Well shucks, son. You needn't worry none. They's all good folks there. 'Sides, them words is your'uns as soon's you spit 'em out. True, you might have to hire one of them fancy back east lawyers, if'n anybody stole 'em. Or you could just ask Johnny, Jack or me to ride over to the varmit's place and read to him from the good book until he saw the error of his ways...

OK, I'd better stop there or next thing you'll have 55,000 words of welcome. I consider the critique as safe as showing your work to your family and friends. First, your words are copyrighted as soon as you write them. Second, we limit the critique to excerpts. "Did this 500 words really describe ...", "After reading the next section, can you visualize the interior of Shorty's Bar..." That type of thing.

I use it a lot to try out new characters, like "Here's a description of Luke Skywalker, does it make you want to know what happens next..."

Some ask if a scene is 'real' or give a brief background then the scene and ask "Would this character actually do/say this."

Lots of times it's something naging you about a character or scene that you can't see because you're too close. We'll jump in and give you our not so humble opinions.

"God Mark! How could you think of such things. Nobody would boil their coffee grounds in their socks!"

One thing, if you include any adult theme or verbage, please identify in the SUBJECT bar. There are minors and others who prefer to be alerted prior to reading. Read the moderator's rules, she has it pretty clearly laid out.

So, show us somethin' pard. Let's see them pearl handles flash in the sun.

Oh, and welcome.

John

goobiesonvenus
Private First Class

Postby goobiesonvenus » Sat Feb 18, 2006 1:45 pm

Admittedly, it's a bit disturbing that someone might steal someone's ideas, but that's not likely, because this forum's been around a little while, and nothing's happened yet, that I know of. :) (I was kind of concerned about that as well at first.)
Me, personally, I've put in a couple pieces of a novel that I'm working on, and all that I've gotten back is good advice. So go ahead, post lots of excerpts and stuff!
And welcome aboard!

-Goobies

PurpleHaze
Private E-1

Postby PurpleHaze » Sat Feb 18, 2006 2:13 pm

Thanks for the welcome Jmar and Goobiesonvenus. I was wondering if anybody was ever going to respond to my introduction. Perhaps the Western genre is not to everybody's taste. That was a great themed response, Jmar. I was all smiles when I read it. I would be honored to post an excerpt of my novel on the critique forum.

abstract
Private E-2

Postby abstract » Sat Feb 18, 2006 4:13 pm

I haven't read many westerns, but I read alot of those really cool fantasy/sci-fi/western crossovers. Do those count? Actually have an idea for one, too, but I don't know if I'll ever get around to writing it...
I've posted stuff here before, and I didn't worry much. We're all professionals here (or so we like to pretend ;) ). Anyway, posting is worth whatever risk there is, because the feedback is exponentially more helpful than what most friends and family members will give you, unless you're lucky and you have someone that isn't afraid of pointing out your mistakes.
By the way, I love your SN! Hendrix rocks! (Literally!) ;)

Jumbie

Postby Jumbie » Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:48 am

Sorry, the wheel broke on my welcome wagon. You know how hard it is to get spare parts here.

Welcome to the forum. We love to have new and interesting people join because they usually bring their new and interesting ideas with them.

Jump in and enjoy the company.

Return to Introductions