Hello WD Forum

Stop in and get to know your fellow writers.

Moderator: ostarella

kwbunyap

Hello WD Forum

Postby kwbunyap » Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:12 pm

kwbunyap

Hello WD Forum

Postby kwbunyap » Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:12 pm

Hi. Everyone. Introductions, I guess: My name is Kenneth Wells, I live near San Antonio, TX and I have recently begun writing. I'm 45, married, and have a full time job (airline pilot) which gives me time when on the road to write. I have been working on a fantasy novel for awhile, and have written several hundred pages. I drift between "inspired" and "forlorn", which is the state I'm currently in.... I have always loved the Lord of the Rings, since reading a dusty copy from the library back in 1976. I found it terribly sad that the Elves left Middle Earth, and I have always wanted to write a story where the Elves return... I know, people want new, different, and more creative stuff, but it is something I have wanted to do for years, so finally, one day I sat down to write it. I have enjoyd my subscription to WD, and noting one recommendation, I started another novel recently, and it couldn't be any farther from a fantasy novel. WD advice for newbies was to "write from what you know", so my new novel is about an airline pilot who gets involved with solving a serial murder case where flight attendants are being attacked in their hotel rooms while on the road. I go back and forth on the two, depending on my mood. Right now I am stuck on the murder mystery, because I am bogged down with procedural stuff, and I don't want to spend the next several years doing research to make the procedural stuff correct. That is one of the reasons I enjoy fantasy, where I can build a world all in my head. But I am enjoying the writing process, which is the reason I'm doing it. If no one ever reads what I write, that's okay... I'm really enjoying the process. I love how both books have taken off in directions I had not expected...I love how they take on lives of their own. Anyway, this is me, looking forward to enjoying the forum!

Ken

abqwriter
Vice Commander in Chief

RE: Hello WD Forum

Postby abqwriter » Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:17 pm

Welcome, and saw your post in the critique section already.  As a pilot, I'm sure you've spent plenty of hours observing human behavior that will come in handy in your writing!

entropy_happens

Postby entropy_happens » Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:59 pm

Oooh a pilot! I'm working on getting a private glider license.
My friend (and the owner of the local glider port where I fly) co-wrote a sequel to The Lord of the Rings with her sister. And guess what? They lost it!!
If you're looking for stuff about crime scene procedure, I found the perfect book for you. I saw it at Barnes and Noble. What was it called? Ugh......okay, it'll come to me...I'll just start describing it...it had a turquoise cover with an enlarged fingerprint on it, white block lettering in all caps...a really obvious title...a magnifying glass...ugh! Well, if you go to Barnes and Noble, go to the section called "Reading/Writing/Publishing". Next time I go there, I'll try to find it.
It'll come to me at 2am!
Anyways, welcome to the forum!
Lynne
P.S. Something like "At the Crime Scene" or "The Crime Scene" or "Scene of the Crime"...something obvious like that.

entropy_happens

Postby entropy_happens » Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:05 pm

I'm back! I found the book on barnesandnoble.com :)
Yay! There are actually tons of them, but the one I looked at looked really helpful. It's called "Scene of the Crime: A Writer's Guide to Crime-Scene Investigations" by Anne Wingate. Here's a link:
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/bookse ... 84&itm=777
Good luck!
Lynne

kwbunyap

Postby kwbunyap » Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:00 pm

Thanks Lynne.

Aspiring

Postby Aspiring » Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:22 am

Welcome. As a pilot, I bet you have a lot of interesting material to draw on and it sounds like you even have time to write. Good for you! You'll find some very talented, encouraging people here who can help you through the forlorn stage. Happy writing! :)

jasipper
Brigadier General

Postby jasipper » Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:34 am

Welcome, Kenneth!

I was in the Air Force for a while and supported many pilots on their missions. I love to fly and it shows...

Hope you enjoy perusing the friendly forums!

Jumbie

Postby Jumbie » Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:36 am

Hey Kenneth, welcome to our little piece of heaven. So I have a question. Do you write while you fly? I always wondered what pilots do while the autopilot is flying the plane. Good to know you're keeping busy. :)

When you're ready, we'd love to see a bit of either or both stories on the critique forum. We'll be gentle.

Oh, I have an airplane question! Can I pm you and pick your brain? Please, please, pleeeeeeeeese?

kwbunyap

Postby kwbunyap » Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:58 am

Thanks for the welcome everyone! I am amazed at the feedback I have already received from my first submission for critique...Developing that thick skin even as we speak! Of course, as I expected, I suffer from two of the most common problems for new writers...passive voice and overylong sentences! But now I have something to work on. No, I don't write while flying. But time looking out the window as the good ol' USA drifts by gives me time to think about what I'm writing. I frequently jot down ideas and new plot directions. If you want to pm me with flying questions or any other questions.... go for it. Glad to help.

Next

Return to Introductions