Please, allow me to introduce myself, I'm a man of Humanity

Stop in and get to know your fellow writers.

Moderator: ostarella

T.A.Rodgers
Site Admin

Re: Please, allow me to introduce myself, I'm a man of Human

Postby T.A.Rodgers » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:39 pm

When writing fiction know your audience. There are a lot of people smarter than me when it comes to writing novels, but you wouldn't know it. That is because most novels are written on an 8th grade or lower reading level. Big fancy words, coupled with complex sentence structures, will lose your audience. There really is truth to the KISS method. Keep it simple stupid.

P.S. I'm not calling you stupid. I'm just making an analogy.

maxmwill
Private E-1

Postby maxmwill » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:06 pm

No, you did not call me "stupid". In fact, you didn't even call me late for supper.

What you did was gift me with some valuable advice.

And I get it.

Thank you

T.A.Rodgers
Site Admin

Postby T.A.Rodgers » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:07 am

Good, I wanted to make sure. What I see in your writing is someone of intelligence. I just wanted to make sure you realize that when it comes to novels you may have to tone it down or risk losing your readers. The last thing you want a reader to do is stop reading because they either don't know the word you're using or because they have to re-read a sentence to try to ascertain what you said. When it comes to writing thrillers the goal of a writer is to have the reader get through each page as fast as they can. High pace action makes for exciting reading, so you don't want a reader to get hung up on a word. :)

maxmwill
Private E-1

Postby maxmwill » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:06 am

I'm not one of those idiots(or vidiots, a word I coined to describe the self-styled "geniuses(genii?) one encounters on the intertubes(which actually filled with and run by cats) who takes any kind of criticism as some sort of challenge to my "manhood"(or some such dreck). I know constructive criticism when it is presented to me.

Previous

Return to Introductions