Structure to writing

Stop in and get to know your fellow writers.

Moderator: ostarella

jamesmatheson
Private E-1

Structure to writing

Postby jamesmatheson » Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:02 am

Hi there so i realised there is a structure to writing. Every book follows a pattern but no one has defined what that pattern is.
Here is an example
takes 100 sections that have a meaning and an purpose at the end

Here is an example:

Each example needs between 100-500 words for each setting to be a book

1)Who are they

2)How did they get there

3)Where are they going

4)Who are they meeting

5)What do the things they are meeting do

6)How long will it take for them to get there

7)How long will.it take for the things they are meeting to get done what they have to do

8)How old are they

9) what brought them.there

10) who were their ancestors

11) why did their ancestors leave them

12) how do they dress

13) how do they dress different than their ancestors

14) what are their customs

15) how are their customs different than the people they mer

16) what technology do they have

17) how ia their technology different than the people's they met

18)what animals do they have

19) how are they different than the ones the other group has

20)what diseases did they bring

21)what other colonies do they represent

22) how are they different than the peoples they met

As you can see I only made it to 22,

it needs another 78 sections for it to be long enough to be a book

The point is when 100 to 500 words are added to each setting that the person can just paste each section together and have a book.

What would be interesting about this writing structure too would be if the person could write at any section from the end to the beginning or anywhere and still make a sensible book at the end

This is one example. There is different structure to each book.

Im hoping someone will take the time with me to test different captions to write a book as mentioned.

All books are structured but as of yet no one has defined what that structure is.

I hope that we will

Please share your thoughts

T.A.Rodgers
Site Admin

Re: Structure to writing

Postby T.A.Rodgers » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:50 am

Should I assume you would like to be added to the forum?

I agree that novels have structure, but not so sure about the section list you have created. To write something about each section and them paste them together would just be a collage of confusion. I don't outline, but when talking about structure, many use outlines to piece together a story. The items you listed should be sprinkled throughout the novel, not placed all in one spot. For example, "who are they" is a major aspect of a novel, but you learn about the characters throughout the novel. You may find out who the protagonist is on the first page, but you don't fully learn about him or her until the last page.

There are plenty of books about structure out there. Overall though I think story trumps structure every time.

The best books about writing, no matter what the genre, are on all the shelves of the local book store or library. Read and read often, and you'll learn all you need to know about writing.

ostarella
Lieutenant

Postby ostarella » Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:17 pm

Agree with Terry. Sure, genres have a "pattern", stories have a basic structure, but story telling is creative and imaginative. It's not Insert Tab A into Slot B and voila! Bestseller. The whole idea of write X number of words for X number of sections - that's just word count.

So yeah, there is a structure, and there are definitions (for example, here: http://www.writersdigest.com/writing-articles/by-writing-goal/write-first-chapter-get-started/4-story-structures-that-dominate-novels) - but it can't be defined in such detail as you seem to want, because then you have paint by number instead of Rembrandt.
"The trick of the fiction writer is the beautiful lie..." Thomas Fox Averill

aka shadowwalker
http://www.writersdigest.com/forum/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=26159

http://shadowwalker.info/home.html

RobTheThird
Private First Class

Postby RobTheThird » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:41 pm

If there were a concrete formula to writing a successful novel, writer's wouldn't be needed. Computers have already written whole novels as far back as the 1990's, probably earlier than that.

So there are general principles to follow. But treating a story as a kind of equation, or a form to fill out?

I won't say that it can't be done. But I think this would tend to stifle creativity.

Return to Introductions