finding an appropriate agent/agency for representation

Stop in and get to know your fellow writers.

Moderator: ostarella

crossroads
Private E-1

finding an appropriate agent/agency for representation

Postby crossroads » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:03 am

I am a new author, veteran of one self-published book entitled, The Enlightenment of Jason Albrecht. I am searching for representation for a new manuscript with a traditional publisher. The prospective book, Beyond a Crossroads, is about human spirituality but uses science fiction as a vehicle of delivery. It appears that Science Fiction publishers can be cautious about spiritual writings in genre, and spiritual publishers are uncomfortable with fiction, science fiction in particular. However I believe there is a nexus of interests among readers who enjoy both genres.

In terms of relevance and marketing, works by Henri Nouwen, Paramahansa Yogananda, Eckhart Tolle, Ken Wilber, Kahlil Gibran and Hermann Hesse have informed my work. Similar books include: Discernment, by Henri Nouwen; Illusions, by Richard Bach; A Separate Reality, by Carlos Castaneda; and The Glass Bead Game (Magister Ludi), by Hermann Hesse. Beyond a Crossroads is suitable for all adult ages and is gender neutral.

Though a fictional story, I would suggest that Beyond a Crossroads is far more a conversation on spirituality, a subject which is most assuredly human and real. In my view, there is a spiritual undercurrent common to all human beings, an undercurrent that compels an inquisitive soul.

I would be most grateful for suggestions of agencies and/or agents who may find such a niche promising. Thoughts?

ostarella
Lieutenant

Re: finding an appropriate agent/agency for representation

Postby ostarella » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:11 am

Can't recommend specific agents but this article may help you in your research:

"HOW TO FIND A (REAL!) LITERARY AGENT" http://www.sfwa.org/real/

It not only tells you how to search for an appropriate agent, but how to prep you and your manuscript for the submission process, and has a lot of links to other helpful articles.

Good luck!

crossroads
Private E-1

Postby crossroads » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:19 am

Thank you ostarella for your response! Will check out the article. Trusting all is well!

T.A.Rodgers
Site Admin

Postby T.A.Rodgers » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:24 am

Welcome to the forums. You can now post anywhere.

Another great website to find agents is at querytracker.net

wdarcy
Major

Postby wdarcy » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:03 pm

I was just about to suggest QueryTracker, but Terry beat me to it! It's all you need to find agents and keep track of queries. And it's free!

--Warren
"Wagner's 'Das Rheingold'" (Oxford 1993). Winner of the Society for Music Theory's Wallace Berry Award, 1995.

"Elements of Sonata Theory" co-authored with James Hepokoski(Oxford 2006). Winner of the Society for Music Theory's Wallace Berry Award, 2008.

crossroads
Private E-1

Postby crossroads » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:08 pm

Thanks Warren. Have been using QuoteTracker, a great source to research agents' interests and website guidelines for submissions!

Return to Introductions