Nice to meet you all

Stop in and get to know your fellow writers.
Harold Saxon
Private E-1

Nice to meet you all

Postby Harold Saxon » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:30 am

I'm retired. I've read science fiction from the time I learned to read. That was in the fifties. Until 2011, I had ideas, but no plots or resolutions. I did some parodies and admired those who could come up with a story that had a resolution.

A quiet day at the beach in early May...a story came up, plot and resolution. I started writing the story when scenes occurred to me. Then I started wondering what others might think. I found a conference in New Orleans. I could only afford the boot camp, the conference was 5 days with workshops, night time events. From the boot camp, there was a prompt given. That started the current science fiction I am working on. Since then I've gone to some other conferences, but have taken a few online classes which have helped me sort out my story (needs more sorting out). I sent pages into a workshop and they said, the workshop was not for beginners. My first rejection! I giggled.

My first draft is mixed tenses, mixed POV. It just seems right at the time. :) I like the way the Dune series is written. I heard that it was omniscient. My draft is written in 3rd POV present tense. I don't know why. It just seems right. Then I change it to past tense. Seeing a story through one character does not seem to be me. I LOVED Red Rising by Pierce Brown. The story is told from Darrow's POV. I devoured that book in a week. That's fast for me.

I was Delighted that I had a concept, a story, now I concentrate on putting it together and applying the tech stuff.

I haven't had to use grammar since the early 60s. 'Grandma' and I have to get reacquainted and find out why the participles dangle. The tenses seen to have enough to parody the 12 Days of Christmas aka the 12? tenses of Grammar. :)

Glad to be here. A Doctor Who fan.

sammy2
Private First Class

Re: Nice to meet you all

Postby sammy2 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:38 pm

[quote="Harold Saxon"]I'm retired. I've read science fiction from the time I learned to read. That was in the fifties. Until 2011, I had ideas, but no plots or resolutions. I did some parodies and admired those who could come up with a story that had a resolution.

A quiet day at the beach in early May...a story came up, plot and resolution. I started writing the story when scenes occurred to me. Then I started wondering what others might think. I found a conference in New Orleans. I could only afford the boot camp, the conference was 5 days with workshops, night time events. From the boot camp, there was a prompt given. That started the current science fiction I am working on. Since then I've gone to some other conferences, but have taken a few online classes which have helped me sort out my story (needs more sorting out). I sent pages into a workshop and they said, the workshop was not for beginners. My first rejection! I giggled.

My first draft is mixed tenses, mixed POV. It just seems right at the time. :) I like the way the Dune series is written. I heard that it was omniscient. My draft is written in 3rd POV present tense. I don't know why. It just seems right. Then I change it to past tense. Seeing a story through one character does not seem to be me. I LOVED Red Rising by Pierce Brown. The story is told from Darrow's POV. I devoured that book in a week. That's fast for me.

I was Delighted that I had a concept, a story, now I concentrate on putting it together and applying the tech stuff.

I haven't had to use grammar since the early 60s. 'Grandma' and I have to get reacquainted and find out why the participles dangle. The tenses seen to have enough to parody the 12 Days of Christmas aka the 12? tenses of Grammar. :)

Glad to be here. A Doctor Who fan.[/quote]

Welcome. You should be approved soon so jump in and join the discussions when you see your name is in blue not red.

T.A.Rodgers
Site Admin

Re: Nice to meet you all

Postby T.A.Rodgers » Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:48 pm

Welcome to the forums. You can now post everywhere.

Return to Introductions