New Member- DaveGahan

Stop in and get to know your fellow writers.

Moderator: ostarella

DaveGahan
Private E-1

New Member- DaveGahan

Postby DaveGahan » Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:29 pm

Hi Everyone,

For the last twenty years, I've been a technologist focusing on on IT Operations, networking, and security. I've worked on projects for customers like Apple, Google, Microsoft, Sony, and several other Fortune 100 companies while leading multiple Information Technology organizations in the transportation, home services, financial technology, and digital security verticles.

In April of 2015, I was diagnosed with Stage III Colorectal Cancer and spent the year alternating between radiation, chemo, multiple surgeries, and telling jokes about my defective ass. With the support of my wife and daughter, I got through it with a few more scars than when I started and a greater understanding of what I want out of life. It's not sitting in a corner office telling people what to do anymore.

At age forty-two I'm taking a shot at writing my first novel. It's something I've always wanted to do, but it took doctors inserting things where they don't belong to motivate me to do it. I know going in I've got a lot to remember from my school days about the rules of language and even more to learn about the construction of novels in general, but I'm passionate about doing so. I'm focusing on the thriller genre, hoping to leverage some of my background in technology along with my love of reading authors such as Lee Child, Stieg Larsson, Michael Connelly, Stephen King, and Haruki Murakami.

Thanks- Dave

-PS, Moderators can you please enable my ability to post in other threads when you have a minute? Thanks.

T.A.Rodgers
Site Admin

Re: New Member- DaveGahan

Postby T.A.Rodgers » Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:16 pm

Welcome to the forums. You can now post everywhere.

plughmann
Sergeant

Re: New Member- DaveGahan

Postby plughmann » Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:39 pm

[quote="DaveGahan"]Hi Everyone,

For the last twenty years, I've been a technologist focusing on on IT Operations, networking, and security. I've worked on projects for customers like Apple, Google, Microsoft, Sony, and several other Fortune 100 companies while leading multiple Information Technology organizations in the transportation, home services, financial technology, and digital security verticles.

In April of 2015, I was diagnosed with Stage III Colorectal Cancer and spent the year alternating between radiation, chemo, multiple surgeries, and telling jokes about my defective ass. With the support of my wife and daughter, I got through it with a few more scars than when I started and a greater understanding of what I want out of life. It's not sitting in a corner office telling people what to do anymore.

At age forty-two I'm taking a shot at writing my first novel. It's something I've always wanted to do, but it took doctors inserting things where they don't belong to motivate me to do it. I know going in I've got a lot to remember from my school days about the rules of language and even more to learn about the construction of novels in general, but I'm passionate about doing so. I'm focusing on the thriller genre, hoping to leverage some of my background in technology along with my love of reading authors such as Lee Child, Stieg Larsson, Michael Connelly, Stephen King, and Haruki Murakami.

Thanks- Dave

-PS, Moderators can you please enable my ability to post in other threads when you have a minute? Thanks.[/quote]

--------------

Hi Dave,

Good luck on your novel.

Any idea how you are going to do it?

There are many methods. Snowflake is a popular one.

Great summary here:
https://www.advancedfictionwriting.com/articles/snowflake-method/

Or buy the book on amazon. $4 kindle.
https://www.amazon.com/Snowflake-Method-Advanced-Fiction-Writing-ebook/dp/B00LWBZ696

Summary of pros and cons here:
http://jordanmccollum.com/2009/10/pros-cons-snowflake-method/
The author of that was a pantser but is now a planner and plotter.

Return to Introductions